Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

seems like you have a good, niche market. Interesting!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a picture where you have two barges together and a blue rolloff with a Bobcat mini, I really like that setup. How much material could you haul with that setup? Do you work off boat landings usually? How big of a 'tugboat' do you need to push that?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
There is a picture where you have two barges together and a blue rolloff with a Bobcat mini, I really like that setup. How much material could you haul with that setup? Do you work off boat landings usually? How big of a 'tugboat' do you need to push that?
With that little setup I haul around 10-16 tons, As far as what we work off wherever we need to but 75% of the time it is boat ramps. We use a 90hp outboard but I would like to get a bigger 4 stroke next year.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge Man View Post
With that little setup I haul around 10-16 tons, As far as what we work off wherever we need to but 75% of the time it is boat ramps. We use a 90hp outboard but I would like to get a bigger 4 stroke next year.
I like that small setup, there is quite a bit of lakes and rivers here and mostly high bank so in the winter some guys do riprap but the market may open up some. I would not like to do riprap in the winter but summer would be okay. I need some 'sea captain' in me. How did you get started if you don't mind? How are the 'authorities' on equipment floating around?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

For what Barge Man is doing would require a 30 foot tug with minimum 250hp and the tug is swinging a 24 inch or larger propeller in the waters around here. The wind and the currents can be very strong and if you don't have the power the barge pulls the tug backwards.

Actually his barges don't have enough freeboard ie don't float high enough. The bow wave from the yachts that travel the coast throw a 4 foot swell when they are going full tilt. Barge Man's barge would be awash in water the excavator tracks would be a little rusted from the salt water

Excavators are not used much on barges when your driving piles you have a pile driver (crane). Rip rap is placed with a clam bucket on a crane and any dredge is done with a clam bucket.

Around here if your using a hydraulic machine you have to use a enviromentally friendly oil. One oil spill can cost you thousands of dollars. It is why when you work in the marine industry you have lots of oil diapers. Once you have a leak get it contained right away you also have spray bottles with sunlight dish soap to try get rid of the rainbows in the water.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
For what Barge Man is doing would require a 30 foot tug with minimum 250hp and the tug is swinging a 24 inch or larger propeller in the waters around here. The wind and the currents can be very strong and if you don't have the power the barge pulls the tug backwards.

Actually his barges don't have enough freeboard ie don't float high enough. The bow wave from the yachts that travel the coast throw a 4 foot swell when they are going full tilt. Barge Man's barge would be awash in water the excavator tracks would be a little rusted from the salt water

Excavators are not used much on barges when your driving piles you have a pile driver (crane). Rip rap is placed with a clam bucket on a crane and any dredge is done with a clam bucket.

Around here if your using a hydraulic machine you have to use a enviromentally friendly oil. One oil spill can cost you thousands of dollars. It is why when you work in the marine industry you have lots of oil diapers. Once you have a leak get it contained right away you also have spray bottles with sunlight dish soap to try get rid of the rainbows in the water.
First off you would never want a tug boat over 26ft long, because then you have to be a certified captain and the boat has to be certified and checked regularly, that is why every single truckable tug is under that length. Second most of these small maneuverable tugs are 90 to 250hp and believe me that little out board on PB1 (Push Boat 1) will do an amazing job and it wonít blow backwards.
As far as taking on waves we have had the top of the barge level with the lake and took a few waves over the grey bin!

According to Gravel Rat
"Rip rap is placed with a clam bucket on a crane and any dredge is done with a clam bucket."

I can guarantee that I can throw more rock in a day then any crane could and mine looks 10 times better and is packed into place!
As for environmentally friendly we have oil mats and run environmental friendly oil.
Please Gravel Rat I understand you might see this stuff a lot but I personally spent 350 hours in just the tug boat this year, and everyone understands we are not working on the Atlantic.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here your working in 30 foot deep water at the shore so you need to dredge with a clam bucket. Using rip rap isn't legal for us you have to have approval before you can dump any kind of rock into the water. Then you get into places where the water is 200 feet plus deep. Anchoring docks with 200 tons worth of anchors.

My familly has been in the marine business for 24 years. Over 100 thousand ton of equipment moved.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post

My familly has been in the marine business for 24 years. Over 100 thousand ton of equipment moved.
all this and you brag about how much firewood you can put in your truck?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyed View Post
Excuse the pun but thats a burn
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyed View Post
As it goes familly can't work together dad and I think too much alike not good for us to work together.

I started working around commercial boats when I was 15 and owned runnabouts with 9.9s when I was 14. Never wanted to stick with working on towboats. When you work on boats around here you have to be pretty agile on your feet. It is like waking on a tight rope when your jumping from a dock to the bulwarks on a tug. You definatly can't be clumsy or your going to hurt yourself.

What bargeman is doing is interesting I like seeing the pictures no it isn't anything new too me. Working on a lake it completely different compared to working on salt water.