Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is one of the pictures of the barge and crane I have no idea what we got ourselves into
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

interesting pictures you got there BM. I haven't been on here in a long time so it took me a while to read all this.
I've never been around this type of work but that motor on the barge looks like it would be straining itself.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge Man View Post
My brother took a few pics of us moving the 330 over to another lake yesterday. We have a barge with a crane to dismantle and bring back to our shop. Any ideas what to do with the crane, it is a 1983 linkbelt and starts right up? I think my brother is sending me pictures of it so i can post them. But i seriously don't know what to do with it?
Pictures look good, but who is the guy walking the excavator onto the float and not using the foot pedals?

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Pictures look good, but who is the guy walking the excavator onto the float and not using the foot pedals?
haha i have to admit that was the first thing i noticed about that pic!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

It is a bad habit to use the travel sticks especially walking a machine onto a bed.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps someone could explain this better, but I see no reason why not to use your hands on the travel sticks when loading a machine. I don't know about anyone else, but I am able to be much more precise with my hands than my feet, especially if it is in a machine that is moving. Picture the slight, sudden, drop of the machine as it crosses the breaking point on the trailer. The natural tendency is to brace yourself with your feet, but if your feet are on the pedals the possibility exists that you could "tweak" the pedals as you support yourself causing an uncontrolled movement of the machine. I teach all new operators (as I was taught) to load the machine using the hand sticks versus their feet. It's the same reason I buy my machines with all the controls on the joysticks, rather than on the floor: there is a lot less chance to make a mistake if you don't have to worry about supporting your body against the controls of the machine.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Member

When your walking the machine you want to beable to use the bucket boom etc to lift and help move the machine at the same time. When your walking onto a lowbed you want to use the bucket to lift the machine up so only one end of the tracks is on the ground and crawl forward.

You have to learn how to use the boom/stick bucket to help assist the machine. Lots of places the machine isn't going to crawl up a slope on its own or decending a slope. Putting the bucket on the ground to prevent you from standing the machine on its nose.

Not all machines have tracks that want to travel at the same speed on travel pedal may have to be moved more than that other to crawl straight.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey i normal don't post here. But this loading with hands only really concerns me from a safety aspect. The proper way to load on a beaver tail (aka ramps) or any trailer for that matter. Is to put your bucket to the side of the trailer on the ground and life up your tracks and drive about half way up the ramps so that the back end of the tracks are still very much in the ground. Then spin the house around and dig the teeth into the ground and lift up and push yourself on while walking the machine with your feet. With your teeth in the ground it helps keep the machine stable from sliding side ways off the trailer. This maybe isn't a problem when conditions are easy and the tracks are clean. But i find in my experience a lot of the time tracks are packed with mud or ice and snow and it is the only way to get on at all with out the risk of falling off. To get off the trail is just the exact opposite. I know if it was one of our guys loading that way it would be time for a re-edcuation. That is if gravity didn't catch them first (falling off) The only time loading with hands only is MAYBE acceptable is if the trailer is a detachable neck like the one in the pic. So do yourself a favor a practice loading using your feet and pushing your self on. It only takes a second to damage a machine or to hurt some one by loading incorrectly...... thats my 2 cents cheers!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not going to argue either way, to each his own. I learned on an older machine that had no hand levers so now I rearely use the hand levers, though I do use them from time to time. My feeling with loading on a beavertail trailer is feet all the way. (loading with the hand levers)When the machine breaks past the teeter point you are going to lean forward which will either make you lurch forward or swich directions in a hurry. That can be dangerous. A detachable lowboy is different, because the teeter point is much less noticable, but for consistancys sake I say go with your feet.

The mini is a different game for me. Our mini has awkward little foot pedals and I am good sized boy, so I kinda hafta use the hand levers with that one but its a little easier to control going on to a little trailer too.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Derek, when you say dismantling what exactly do you mean? What are you going to do with the crane? It would be nice to mount it on something mobile and keep it at the shop for loading and what not. So are you just taking the crane off and keeping the barge for work, or cutting it all up? How old a man are you? I know you are youngun like me just wondering how close in age we are.