Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge Man View Post
Thanks flairland, I got it in August in 08 when diesel was through the roof and they couldn't give diesel trucks away The frost was about 12-16 inches deep.
08' already? Wow, somehow I must have missed it in all your other pictures. I love seeing your work, can't wait to see more pictures in the spring! I'd like to get into light marine work too, as in dock building, see walls, etc. Any tips on how to get my foot in the door?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flairland View Post
08' already? Wow, somehow I must have missed it in all your other pictures. I love seeing your work, can't wait to see more pictures in the spring! I'd like to get into light marine work too, as in dock building, see walls, etc. Any tips on how to get my foot in the door?
I don't know how many lakes or ponds are around you but if you would get a plate compactor for your mini you would be set. I started with my mini changing seawall post, and building docks. With your mini you could get a nice little barge really cheap and be able to move around very easy. I have seen a few barges home built out of big plastic/foam floats and work out great. If you have any questions just ask.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm within 15 minutes of one lake, and another is about 45 minutes away, so I think I have decent potential. My parents farm is actually right on a lake so I mean I'm not far at all. How did you get your first marine job? Was it for a homeowner or a contractor? Did it basically take off after the first job?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm within 15 minutes of one lake, and another is about 45 minutes away, so I think I have decent potential. My parents farm is actually right on a lake so I mean I'm not far at all. How did you get your first marine job? Was it for a homeowner or a contractor? Did it basically take off after the first job?
I did my first marine job for a friend or ours, and then put a small add in a weekend newspaper. I did everything by land for the first 3 years. Then the winter of 07 I was looking at buying a small barge and a big rock shoreline job came up. My dad didn’t want to look at the job but I wouldn’t let it go and told him I could make it work out. So we bid the job and he helped me get our first big barge, since then everything took off. I was extremely lucky it all worked out because things could be a lot different if it wouldn’t have. But my original plan was to just stay small like you have planed. It sounds like you are in a perfect spot to try to jump out there and experiment.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge Man View Post
I did my first marine job for a friend or ours, and then put a small add in a weekend newspaper. I did everything by land for the first 3 years. Then the winter of 07 I was looking at buying a small barge and a big rock shoreline job came up. My dad didn’t want to look at the job but I wouldn’t let it go and told him I could make it work out. So we bid the job and he helped me get our first big barge, since then everything took off. I was extremely lucky it all worked out because things could be a lot different if it wouldn’t have. But my original plan was to just stay small like you have planed. It sounds like you are in a perfect spot to try to jump out there and experiment.
No pain no gain eh? Bet you're dad thanks you for bidding that job too! I might start advertising at the local cottages in the next month or so and see what kind of response I can get. Maybe I'll also talk to some of the marinas and see if they have any work. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a small barge now. What size barge and outboard would you recommend for a 3 ton machine? Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
No pain no gain eh? Bet you're dad thanks you for bidding that job too! I might start advertising at the local cottages in the next month or so and see what kind of response I can get. Maybe I'll also talk to some of the marinas and see if they have any work. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a small barge now. What size barge and outboard would you recommend for a 3 ton machine? Thanks for all your help!
My dad says sometimes he wishes I wouldn't have got him into it He sold his oil company and was able to retire young. He worked all of the time when I was younger, so it is great to be with him all of the time now, hell he is my best friend. You would want something at least 12' wide and length 18' or longer. As far as power a 50hp and up would move you around just fine, all you need is a big prop I will try to find some pictures of a barge at another lake we work at. He made it out of those floating dock floats and steel. It doesen't look the greatest but it is really light and he moves it with his mini and a pickup.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Derek, am definitely curious to see what that barge looks like.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started breaking down the crane and getting everything off of the new barge last week. Then it started snowing Never got in a machine like that crane where I had know idea what did what Needless to say dad and I had a fun afternoon, I swear the state workers watched and lafed all afternoon. We hit one of the spuds with the boom and just about put the block threw the side of the house on the barge It is dented now.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

very cool pics BM

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well things have been slow lately, had a few pictures of the last few weeks just plowing snow and dismantling the barge.

We have spent the last few days cutting the crane free I have never seen so many welds The 330 couldn't pick it up all of the way so I worked it ti the edge and then we had a controlled fall Ended up good though only bent one side panel.
Attached Images