Register free!

Old 04-25-2000, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm looking at doing a new instalation i have never done one befor. my question is how much top soil do i need to get good gowth. right now all there is is sand i live in up state ny thanks<p>----------<br>Todd <br>
Old 04-25-2000, 04:48 PM

Todd,<p>I like to see 3-4 inches. The builders around here like to sell $150,000 houses with 2&quot; or less, they scalp the lot going in, then leave just enough to cover the site once they are done. No wonder the happy homeowner can't establish turf that is any good. If things there are like here you will end up with as much topsoil as the budget will allow. Topsoil is going for $13 delivered here and an 18 yd load doesn't go very far. I usually try to get a feel for how much they want to spend, work my labor out of that and buy as much topsoil as I can with what is left. If I can't 3 to 4 inches over the site I warn the owners that they may have problems getting grass to take.
Old 04-25-2000, 06:41 PM
Lawnsite Addict

3 to 4 inches is good but I'd like to see 6 in.. If you have a lot of sand you are in pretty good shape, but if there's a lot clay underneath I would disk clay so it's loose that way the roots will have it easier time taking hold.<p>----------<br>paul<br>