Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #111  
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
desert rose gardening desert rose gardening is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: jacumba ca
Posts: 387
I live and work in San Diego county, most types of grass grow here. I tried it on all types, Don't like it won't ever use it again. It takes way to long for green-up, one lawn I had to put it on three times before it greened up. Plus it smells like cat piss! I have a great fert i'v been using for 28 years and I will keep with it. Bests turf supreme in the summer and bests nitro king in the winter. My dealer talked me in to buying some fert from Norway once. After I bought it I was driving away asking my self, What the hell did I just do?! I bought fert from Norway? They don't know what kind pf soil we have in San Diego! Plus why in the hell am I helping the Norwegian economy?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
mdlwn1 mdlwn1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: new jersey/new york
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rose gardening View Post
I live and work in San Diego county, most types of grass grow here. I tried it on all types, Don't like it won't ever use it again. It takes way to long for green-up, one lawn I had to put it on three times before it greened up. Plus it smells like cat piss! I have a great fert i'v been using for 28 years and I will keep with it. Bests turf supreme in the summer and bests nitro king in the winter. My dealer talked me in to buying some fert from Norway once. After I bought it I was driving away asking my self, What the hell did I just do?! I bought fert from Norway? They don't know what kind pf soil we have in San Diego! Plus why in the hell am I helping the Norwegian economy?
While I do respect your opinion, your post SCREAMS something to me. You dont understand the composition of different ferts and how they will react under different circumstances. 28 years and you bought some fert from Noway and didn't know why? Regarding cat piss......really?...you never ever once smelled cat piss from any fert...ever? No offense, but I don't think you realize what your post says about you...and NOTHING about 16-2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
cat piss fert?? Does it burn?
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
While I do respect your opinion, your post SCREAMS something to me. You dont understand the composition of different ferts and how they will react under different circumstances. 28 years and you bought some fert from Noway and didn't know why? Regarding cat piss......really?...you never ever once smelled cat piss from any fert...ever? No offense, but I don't think you realize what your post says about you...and NOTHING about 16-2-3.
i have to agree here.
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,717
I agree with you guys!

Sounds like he doesn't understand what he is using and why!

Also...if you treat every lawn the same you are a fool!

Example:

We know our lawns and we carry starter on every truck along with 30-0-5.

If it is a heavily shaded lawn we don't push the N.


I had a customer with 2 acres this summer request Millorganite. I was very impressed with the results this fall.

However due to the cost and amount of product I had to use it would keep me from doing much in the future.

I did it myself and it turned a 40 min job into a 1.5 hour job.


Not good!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,084
C'mon man, cat piss was our secret ingredient. Now we'll have to find something else.
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,794
i use a blend for two years now with some milorganite, loved it. cant wait to try some of the nutrients plus ferts for next year
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
C'mon man, cat piss was our secret ingredient. Now we'll have to find something else.
I don't even want to know how you harvested cat piss my friend
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,794
the same as they harvest cat turds for coffee and tea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
I think we ended up using about a dozen bags last year (traded 50% XCU for it). IMO it was a bad trade cuz:

1) Turf color (as well as the longevity of color) was weak

2) It was also somewhat dusty, and impeller fins tended to cake up more quickly vs XCU fert

3) It smelled really bad

4) Cost per acre was high

Regarding odor:

1) My guys truly hated the foul odor. When they opened the bags, they said it immediately smelled like a "dead mouse".

2) Some customers also noticed the foul odor, so they questioned us as to what we were applying (this was obviously not a selling point)

I was all set to order a semi load, but my guys got wind of it. So it never happened. Wife also said, "Good decision".

my 2 cents plus the 2 cents of ALL my employees
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.07890 seconds with 8 queries