Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
cat piss fert?? Does it burn?
if you have a bag get wet and sit for any length of time, when you open it, it will smell like cap piss and literally make your eyes water.

Larry, what did you figure the cost per acre to be? Ive been called names with how low I can bid, even using SG.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my cost per bag of screamin green is way less than what i have been using, so cost per acre is cheaper, not more.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I think we ended up using about a dozen bags last year (traded 50% XCU for it). IMO it was a bad trade cuz:

1) Turf color (as well as the longevity of color) was weak

2) It was also somewhat dusty, and impeller fins tended to cake up more quickly vs XCU fert

3) It smelled really bad

4) Cost per acre was high

Regarding odor:

1) My guys truly hated the foul odor. When they opened the bags, they said it immediately smelled like a "dead mouse".

2) Some customers also noticed the foul odor, so they questioned us as to what we were applying (this was obviously not a selling point)

I was all set to order a semi load, but my guys got wind of it. So it never happened. Wife also said, "Good decision".

my 2 cents plus the 2 cents of ALL my employees
Turf Color-I have seen nothing but the opposite. I'll add that when dealing with natural/organic substances, my experiance has shown that temperature can have a HUGE impact on results...especially regarding milorganite. I don't feel anyone can resonably say "it didn't work". SG is just another tool in the box that when used and understood correctly....works. No one on this thread has given a valid (by definition) reason that it didn't work. Maybe it didn't work for YOU because of YOUR scenario...again, it's just another tool to be used where needed. A common problem I see in the lawncare community is that a lot of companies/guys need to pound their customers lawns into oblivion because the outfit cutting those lawns is playing the chopping game and doesn't know or care how to cut turf. Under this scenario, saying Screamin Green didn't work under normal app rates is like saying my porsche won't pull my 40' motor home...don't ever buy a porsche. The bottom line is this: it's just another tool...not knowing how or when a tool should be used isn't a valid reason to say the tool didn't work as claimed. Just about all ferts out there work as intended. It's up to the professional to determine when, where, and how to make that tool work.

Cost IS a valid argument.
Smell (although is disagree) IS a valid argument.
Dust (c'mon..employees don't regularly clean the equip?) IS a valid argument.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Turf Color-I have seen nothing but the opposite. I'll add that when dealing with natural/organic substances, my experiance has shown that temperature can have a HUGE impact on results...especially regarding milorganite. I don't feel anyone can resonably say "it didn't work". SG is just another tool in the box that when used and understood correctly....works. No one on this thread has given a valid (by definition) reason that it didn't work. Maybe it didn't work for YOU because of YOUR scenario...again, it's just another tool to be used where needed. A common problem I see in the lawncare community is that a lot of companies/guys need to pound their customers lawns into oblivion because the outfit cutting those lawns is playing the chopping game and doesn't know or care how to cut turf. Under this scenario, saying Screamin Green didn't work under normal app rates is like saying my porsche won't pull my 40' motor home...don't ever buy a porsche. The bottom line is this: it's just another tool...not knowing how or when a tool should be used isn't a valid reason to say the tool didn't work as claimed. Just about all ferts out there work as intended. It's up to the professional to determine when, where, and how to make that tool work.

Cost IS a valid argument.
Smell (although is disagree) IS a valid argument.
Dust (c'mon..employees don't regularly clean the equip?) IS a valid argument.
Good post, mdlwn.

Regarding odor. I've probably used a few truckloads of this stuff over the years and have experienced some smelly bags as well, though not too often. Remember that you're dealing with composted poultry manure and milorganite here, which are both biologically active products. Add a little N to the mix and a tiny bit of moisture and you can have some reaction in the bag. Also, shipping could have caused this (think shrink wrapped pallet and humidity on a tractor trailer in the dead of summer).

Some of the opinions on this board are nuts, especially one based on a 12 bag sample that you traded for. How long was that stuff sitting around?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
my cost per bag of screamin green is way less than what i have been using, so cost per acre is cheaper, not more.
I was quoted 21.55 for a bag for 4 skids that was back in 2008 still have the email. I did get a quot last year and it was more that that. That is more than i pay for Fert.I bet it is good fert but to costly at this point.

Charles Cue
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i guess it is because you dont use truckloads. we do, and then the price is almost half that!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i guess it is because you dont use truckloads. we do, and then the price is almost half that!!
Now that would be a good price

Charles Cue
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We got it from Pxxxx, and it was a recent shipment. Our fert was also a fresh shipment.

I feel that 600 pounds is enough product to make comparisons, especially after being in this business since the late '70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
Good post, mdlwn.

Regarding odor. I've probably used a few truckloads of this stuff over the years and have experienced some smelly bags as well, though not too often. Remember that you're dealing with composted poultry manure and milorganite here, which are both biologically active products. Add a little N to the mix and a tiny bit of moisture and you can have some reaction in the bag. Also, shipping could have caused this (think shrink wrapped pallet and humidity on a tractor trailer in the dead of summer).

Some of the opinions on this board are nuts, especially one based on a 12 bag sample that you traded for. How long was that stuff sitting around?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2008 example: We paid $13.75 per bag for 44-0-0 25% XCU. This is a much heavier nitrogen "load" compared to what you got. If P & K are not lacking, why apply it? High cost per acre can kill a business. Nothing against Screamin' Green, but we are in a very competitive market. "One App" is another option guys are choosing. BTW, ISU recommends core aeration instead of ........ They go further by stating that organic matter needs to be incorporated into the soil in order to be effective. Makes sence to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I was quoted 21.55 for a bag for 4 skids that was back in 2008 still have the email. I did get a quot last year and it was more that that. That is more than i pay for Fert.I bet it is good fert but to costly at this point.

Charles Cue
Old 11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Larry,

No need to xxx out my name, I've got nothing to hide. We sent you a 10# sample & you did complain about an odor. I don't know where you got the other bags from, I do remember you said whoever it was has been happy with Screamin Green for years and I believe they continue to use it. Apparently, you were not happy with Screamin Green, I appreciate that you gave it a try. I doubt there is any single fert that will make everyone happy, no big deal.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt