Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I'm not aware of any studies showing the effects of herbicides on soil microbes. Maybe Kiril does?
That being said, we have not seen anything in the field that points to decreased results due to pre-emergent. We always urge that if you decide to use post emergent just spot treat as needed. And the best defense against weeds is a thick healthy lawn.
http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.a...d4&article=014
http://www.regional.org.au/au/asssi/...2_Weckertm.htm
Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually soil microbes get a boost following most agrochemical treatments. Remember Oftanol for grubs? The soil biologist girl at the CT Ag Station tried to tell me I was causing thatch by killing microbes. I agreed that chlordane caused thatch but Sevin or Diazinon? Never.

Well she continued along that train of thought through the 1980's then she was gone. She resurfaced in the news following the EXXON Valdeez incident.

She was part of the team of microbiologists that identified, cultured and bred bacteria that was used to clean up the spilled petroleum.

They learned of "enhanced microbial degradation" from Mobay (before Bayer). Their oftanol was failing miserably. Bacteria in the soil would gradually ramp up after every lawn care treatment. By the third consecutive season the bacteria population would be just large enough to eat all the Oftanol before the grubs could get their own toxic dose.

She never did thank us for the lessons.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A little off topic but we also had some interesting results in trials as a nematicide in warm season turf this year

At the University of Florida they used a control, us and nemacure. They applied once and took nematode counts each month, ours did not perform as we had hoped, minimal difference but the nemacure applied counts were taking off and soon through the roof it was if they really liked that stuff

I called and asked the good professor, his reply was "Enhanced microbial degradation of fenamiphos, basically pathogen enhancing soil"

I thought it was interesting, we will trial again this year with after tweaking the product, that is what trials are for, if it works great, if not tweak and try again
Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice to see you back on Tremor.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just did a bunch of reading of studies on soil microbial degredation from herbicides. Thanks for the links dirtandhoops. I found some others, too.

From what I can gather, the answer is yes and no. It seems some do negatively interfere with the herd, while others are fed upon by the herd.

Damn!! Why can't things be as simple as we would like to believe they are?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
If you have your customer survey worded anything like this post, then I can see exactly why your customers have been "unreceptive".
It's more than obvious that you're flagrantly bias toward the use of chemicals & generally against "natural options".
Next time, hire the services of an independent surveying firm before you post such an idiotic conclusion on here.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice posts guys, hey tremor i remember you around, where you been?

my whole goal is to always use as little pesticide as needed and concentrate on root and shoot density. this is one of the main reasons i am looking at the NP products. the screamin green is what i understand to be a bridge kind of hybrid product . i hope to gain ground and interest here for the more expensive truly natural soil ferts and add that to my program choices.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Oak Lawn Medic View Post
Hey Grassman. I used Nutrients Plus Screamin Green for my round 5 and 6. The grass was a nice color after round 5 but it's a little early to tell on round 6. It has some slow release fert as well as some that I couldn't see a couple days after I applied it. I could still see a small amount of granules when I checked a couple properties after 6 weeks.
Barry was a big help in answering all my questions and never once told me what I HAD to do. He just helped me to understand the benefits of organics and OM.
I am going to try their Preem next year and continue the Screamin Green also.
I also had a new property that had a new house and lots of bare ground. I used Screamin Green and also sprayed ICT's Hydroseed product on the seed I spread. Man, that seed jumped up!
Both Bill @ ICT and Barry @ Tech Terra were great to work with and very patient with me. They are going to get my business from now on.
BTW, they have a plant about three hours south of you guys in El Dorado by Wichita. Delivery was $.85 per bag to Oak Grove. If you have a trailer you might just drive down there.
How much was it per bag. I have been reading and this product might be a whole lot easier than top dressing yards after aerating. Thanks
2005 Polaris Sportsman 800
John Deere Lx279 48 inch
Snapper 21 inch
Stihl FS 55
Stihl FS R85
RedMax EB7001
RedMax EBZ7150
RedMax QREBCZ2650T
RedMax CHTZ2401
Tru vac aerator
Lesco Spreader
Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

was wanting to revive this thread and hear some more users after the year we just had, your conditions and such and how it performed!!!!

anyone?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No input from me yet...but I just split a semi load with Rabbitman!

We anted to give it a try.

We are looking foreword to seeing what kind of results we get from it compared to our regular program.

See...I have an open mind!

LOL