Register free!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to be a troublemaker but those ET controllers all over the place are starting to get on my nerves. I've decided they are nothing more than a dirty band-aid. Spent a lot of time talking to the moisture sensor folks and they can make a much stronger argument about real water conservation results. What difference does ET make? All that is important is what the moisture needs of the soil and plant are. I'm starting to see a better way than yanking perfectly good controllers and putting up an ET controller. Bring back the RC-7. give the customer a controller they can use and soil moisture readings.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Yup, you're at I.A and I'm not. Say hello to Bill Smillie @ Irritrol.
I did Mike. I was surprised that he smiled when I said your name. hyuk Hyuk Seriously though really nice guy. Didn't mind spending time talking to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
I'm going to be a troublemaker but those ET controllers all over the place are starting to get on my nerves. I've decided they are nothing more than a dirty band-aid. Spent a lot of time talking to the moisture sensor folks and they can make a much stronger argument about real water conservation results. What difference does ET make? All that is important is what the moisture needs of the soil and plant are. I'm starting to see a better way than yanking perfectly good controllers and putting up an ET controller. Bring back the RC-7. give the customer a controller they can use and soil moisture readings.
I agree that moisture meters make more sense in a perfect world but without having a separate sensor on every zone (and properly laid out for sun/shade, etc), how could it be as effective as ET? ET is not the silver bullet but I believe it puts us much closer in our goal of proper application rates.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what you guys are talking about. ET was a great movie. Damn little alien made me cry when we thought he was dying.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. ET was a great movie. Damn little alien made me cry when we thought he was dying.
Dana , come on dont be rediculous. They are not talking about that movie. They are obviously talking about Extra large Tits
Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I already have a sensor for those.....
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Humm , a moisture senser. Im liking that.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's next, worms and plants with miniature cell phones?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
What's next, worms and plants with miniature cell phones?
Gofers with laptops(named ET, Eddie Torres, the extra testical) sending reports to update weather stations.......

When a person with money meets a person with experience, the person with experience will get some money and the person with money will get some experience. -Harvery MacKay
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Peter, I agree moisture sensors are more efficient than an ET controller.
The biggest issue I face repeatedly is customers who attempt to program even a simple controller like a Hunter Pro-C and screw it up beyond belief. I can only imagine installing an ET controller and the call backs.
A few of the controller I saw were quite intriguing as they are accessible via a portal for reprogramming while I'm in my office with out the cost for special software and a dedicated phone line.
However, I foresee the same problems here too - Joe Tentpeg is in his office and starts bragging about his controller, calls up the portal and the next thing you know he's screaming because the damned thing doesn't work.
There is something to the older electro-mechanical controllers for simplicity but all of my sites require multiple start times due to soil/site/water rationing and the RC-i's just can't cope.