Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I am not looking for your approval, I am posting a sincere answer to your questions. If you want to charge top dollar for your services you need to appear as professional as possible, one way to do that is to use the spell check. Merry Christmas to you.

I should meet you on friday or saturday night at about 12.00 am in the moring with a shot of Vodka in your hand and talk to you about being proffesional. I am not here to solicit clientelle. I am chilling and shooting the breeze with out my company shirt on and Steel toe boots. I apreaciate your advice but it didn't come as an advice more like a sissy out of the blue pinch. If you care to see some of our work and decide if it is proffesional you let me know , I had single jobs that payed more then your years worth of income.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PERFECT was that ment toward me or the other guy ? who many people do you have working under you , not beside you ????
Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He quoted me XLS, it was meant for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It also depends on the individual setup as to the ease of success
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Was this composed using some sort of translation software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect touch landscapes View Post
We all operate not fully knowing if our ways are best ways, I drive by competitors and off the bat I can see other companies weaknesses and strenths. I tried to network who knows how many times with other LCO's , but only few are open minded and understand there is more bissiness that we can handle ,even if we adopt other LCO'S strategies. I wonder all the time how does Vendor choose over 10 bids right contractor, we must remember not all Clients choose over bottom line. Some get motivated or inspired over sales pitch or something Landscaper pointed out that they have been looking for for years. How can 3 people mow 1 acre with same machine and same speed , but only one can beat other two by half time and yet have best quality. How can One trim , edge , manicure lawn with trimmer in 5 minutes and it will take other 25 minutes, where are the shortcuts, Who has designed home made blades that work better then Gators. Which bagging sistem bags more, makes less mess and costs a fraction of what dealers provide. I have thousands of questions and simply interest how DO YOU DO IT. Now this Post is not for arrogant, selfish ( me, me , me type) , but LCO's that figured it out on their own, because no one would teach them, not they want to pass on olipic torch of knoweledge to other with out expecting anything in return.
How can I LCO make 100.000 of 40 lawn accounts and others make only 25.000 ( pretending accounts are similar size and dificulty)
We are all victims of daily Marketing, Advertizing on Tv, Adds, and we wonder how we got sucked in? Well my question is how can you manipulate system that we are all in, whith out loosing integrity, honesty, and craftsmenship yet making bucks with less sweat, less bleeding and shorter hours?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i could shock people on how low a startup cost a true business needs , i love it on here how everyone says it cant be done and i look back long before i came to ls and its working fine at most points i love it . lol
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my area market dicates all else. Skid loader for example: The top dog excavatioin contractor charges $110 / an LS175 NH. People pay that cuz he knows how to run his equipment and the people think he is faster than all the rest with skids cuz he plays in the dirt all day everyday. I charge out at $90 and hour and get balked at cuz I am an LCO/landscaper/contractor and my skid is not worth what his skid is.

I can drive 30 miles down the highway and prices change drasticly - how do I know - cuz I have another lawn care business in a neighboring town. It is what people expect to pay and what they beleive the worth is to them. Example - I ran out of greenery for our seasonal lighting that we do. I called a local nursery where I get alot from every year and they quoted me a price with my discount - I thought a little high - so I called the local flower shop - same stuff - same vender - in fact there delivery man goes from florist then to this nuresry - The floral shop at full retail price is cheaper than what the nursery quoted - now where are you going to buy the greenery if you were me?

I am in small town USA - people are going to pay so much and that is it. I wish I had 40 accounts that were 5-10 acres a piece but those type of places in my area are far and few.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perfect ill talk if you let me in on a few of your standard practices
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

meets 1 what is to say you are worth $90 no one but you can say if you can do it cheaper but if you just aint worth it then it isnt for you , its called jumping in on a hunch
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i must hit on this . a company can very much so charge less then $40 per hour per person . most successfull LCO's will agree it we chose not to .
its the smart opperators who come to find ways to offer lower rates and opperate more effecintlly to offset the $$$$ see i can tell a lady ill send a guy out to mow her lawn for $35.00 per hour and if it takes him 2 or 3 hours to complete it then he hasnt lost the company any money ,it is just he hasnt added much value to the company if the same guy cuts 3 out there and another man cuts 1 block over the same size lawns for 40.00
all he has done is made more profit .when time comes and a new unit is brough in and 2 guys cut them all in one day it is now prductivly creating a higher per hour rate of 120-220 per hour it is about qulity production .

we often bid a larger lawn at say $38.00 per hour with a 48" walker then turn around and mow it with a 60"z and knock it out in less then half the time bringing the per hour rate it a round 70.00 per on a one man crew

I see what you saying and you brought a good point in some way, but the way I look at it, why get 1000 customers where 500 you do it for nothing and 500 make you the profit.
Guy cutting lawn with walk behind for an hour is not just loss for 35.00 , it means he can't relax or take it easy later on in the day because he needs to catch up on his slack. I know what it like to mow with walk behind for an hour. Do you start charging customer by the hour mowing that lawn for 35.00 when guys unload or when you are starting to head towards their property. 35 an hour i dont see how that account even gives you a flush you pay that customer money to do their lawn. My rule of thumb is 1.00 per men per hour. BEcause if you trully calculate overhead it is about 1/3 of that.
if your do for 35.00 then you are doing it for .25c a minute. STop stop for a secont, who drove that guy there to the job, whos trailer he came to job in, what about yearly lights, wires , welds, tires, paint, washing, you have to do to keep that trailer running.What about traveling time, what if he got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. What if he had to stop and take a piss at gas station and buy smokes. I belive that every customer has to bring you pure profit not some. I dont live thinking that tomorrow new guys or new customers will make it better or make me money. I might not be alive tomorrow or we might have a ww3 break out, so every account every stop counts, and if you calculate in the end of year what difference it makes you will be amazed.

Tags
lawn , money , secrets , strategy , tricks