Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok for examle tell me why does skid operator or tree climer can charge 110-150.00 an hour. skid can run as much as a mower , cost of running it is about the same. Different is that you know not every joe has one and when you show up with nice trailer and skid on top they look at you like you are from different nick of the woods. Well I think in lawn or landscaping it is same thing. WHy lawyers charge 200.00 an hour or Machanic 70.00 -90.00 and hour , do they wark harder then we do? They know they can get it , because that's what it should be. Our competition or so called competion has f-up rates so bad that we gotten lost what is real and what is not. Did you know kid in 1980 with a push mower would mow grass for 20-25.00$ about 5-7.000 sf. What has changed. You show up with 7-20.000 mower and you mow for 30.00. Getting faster more expensive equipment means we need to cut our time in portion still charging what lawn should cost to cut. But I see guys with three ztr 72 inch on trailler they mow 45 yards and gross less then 1100 a day with 3 employees(boss is not even on the truck)
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$60 an hour is fine but my theroy is why leave money on the table? I am making good at $90. I am alittle less than he but if I land the job - what the heck - more profit - is not that the question at hand?

Now on the other end of the spectrum - I am going to high guy in the mowing world in my area - I beleive we do the best - one of the bigger outfits in my are for mowing and i have what I think is to be the best equipment on the market to be fast, effecient, and less fagtiued men at the end of the day but it comes with a price - I demand that price and 9 out of 10 times - I have the work/job/client.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

perfect what is the details of you company ???? the biggest thing i know that small lcos do wrong is they include there overhead in every type service they offer as a whole
and they cant let go of the being small attitude of i had reather mow 40 instead of 100 . hell you are not mowing them you are manging them

proud to say i mowe every one of them.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For example there is formula to know if you are to cheat , priced right or to expensive.
How many accounts you all pick up out of 10 bids.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It still comes down to what the market will bear in your given area! I mow alot of yards for guys that own houses in AZ, FL, TX - they laugh when they get my bill cuz 1 month bill here is like / time there. But yet are they willing to pay me more - - - NO cuz there back in small town USA.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you one secret and that's all you get: I neither touch drink nor drugs.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Perfect - I have go to bed - so spill the beans. what formula do you have in your possesion?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

tops - your awesome!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of our work.Our landscaping and my trimming
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

meets1 see it could be you leaving money on the table you could have lowered your rate a little and had 3 units instead of 1 all working full days making you money instead of the invisible ceiling .

perfect the mechanic has alot more knowlage then your average lco and he is working as himself you have guys doing all your work or thats the way it should be

the more people you have working for you the less your overhead should beccome is how it works .

Tags
lawn , money , secrets , strategy , tricks