Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a toro 21" hd commercial mower with bbc and kawi engine for $1100 delivered off ebay from a dealer selling there. It was apparently a floor unit but was brand new. The best price I'd found previously was $1250 plus tax, or about $237 more. I can't believe Toro wants $1450 msrp on these things. But I needed something with a powerful drive system. Personal Pace was killing me on hills.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

can i ask a non bashing question . what is so special about a commercial push mower ,what do they truly give you that makes them commercial. i see everyone on here seems to think you cant go cheaper then 1100-1200 on a push and it be commercial i dont see the deal. again lol stay calm i just would like to know hehe. thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they are usually made from stronger materials, better wheels and bearings, more reliable drives(on self propelled) etc. not always, but in some cases a better engine too. it is all about longevity more than comfort i think, as it is still a push mower
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

some of you guys need to look into husqvarnas pushmowers they are 375.00 out the door and with honda engines and we cant tare them up it is a dang good item well under a honda the wheels are bearrings also
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have no dealers i know of to get that mower, maybe others do. sounds like you are pleased. we have honda push mowers, one is a push and the other the top of the line(mydads). we like them and they have been trouble free. they mulch really well too, but the taller you cut the slower you have to walk. i assume that is true with any mower as it has been in my experience. we dont use the push hardly at all, but it should last a very lonbg time in that case for us
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

grassman177 hey thanks for your true reply most on here go crazy when you say anything against honda yet they wont try anything new ,if you will . i personally cant get a honda if i wanted one so ,no i have never tried one or seen one ,but for the price over units avalible here and knowing what is tested quality here the honda price is unheard of . the only thing i can think of is if the are a blade brake design unit , i know this changes the price overall. to the honda owners rock on and those on lower budgets to all our own . later
Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the blade break clutch is a great feature
Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
can i ask a non bashing question . what is so special about a commercial push mower ,what do they truly give you that makes them commercial. i see everyone on here seems to think you cant go cheaper then 1100-1200 on a push and it be commercial i dont see the deal. again lol stay calm i just would like to know hehe. thanks
For small spots of grass and not heavy grass conditions, you don't really have to have a commercial one. This is my first one in 18 years. But you do get:

more power usually
longer lasting engines with better air and oil filtration and full pressure lubrication
Better stronger wheels that are easier to replace if needed and height adjusters that are stronger in many cases
thicker deck (probably not necessary)
larger fuel tank for less time spent refilling
Sometimes a heavier duty, stronger drive system that is greaseable.
Heavier construction in general which is more gorilla-proof.

Add up the improvements and they should cost maybe $1,000, not the $1250-$1500 they seem to get for them.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

bruce 32 off your words exactly , what is the measureing tool for these specs
husqvarnas unit is a honda (full pressure lube)
wheels get hit all the time and never had a broke one these are full beaaring wheels as well.
the deck i am unsureof compaired to the honda but dont they use aluminum. and if thicker is in your words (prob. not nessacery)
the manufacture of the engine determines the fuel tanks size for that engine and if its the same engine its the same amount of fuel reguradless of the company name marketing it .
as far a greaseable drives, why just so most will forget to grease them,isnt this the main reason things are maintenance free or seald bearings also . ( just thinking out loud )

heavier construction overall , yet the deck is 3/4 of this construction and you said un needed lol and they use the same leavers because these are made via another supplyer
and whatis left the handle lol say it isnt so lol a $400 upgrade in the handle lol
the truth is husqvarna push units minus the bbc has no negative compaired to the homad and at 325.00 it is a steal but most want a name like honda and i dare them to try it . the husqvarna has a true squeeze ,to pace just like a hydro and again no doubt the honda does the same here as well . and i know it will go verry slow to cant keep up on a flat lawn . granted they call it residential but give it a look
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

XLS I agree with you. A push mower is a push mower. We don't use them very often at all. A condo complex with a few areas and a couple houses with pools. I would rather buy a 3 or 4 hundred dollar "throw away" every 2 or 3 years than spend 1200 and have it last 10 years. Unless a push mower is something you use all the time then whats the use. They roll around on the trailer, get beat up and keep on going. By the way, I am talking about a self propelled 21 inch mower, not really a "push" mower. Another thing I bought a toro, we have used it for three years. I believe it has a honda motor. I think it was around 400 and it still mows like a million bucks. I have no intention of buying a new one till it blows up or is not worth repairing. The push mower I had before that was a Home Depot special Murray. We used that for 5 or 6 years. FYI-It still runs but not very well.