Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2000, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

we are cleaning out a big flower bed for a customer. she wants all the dirt and old rock removed and the old plastic taken out and a fiber put in. so my question is?<br>will it hurt the tree roots to be exposed to the air til we get the rest of the rock out?<br>we have been re-covering it with the plastic.<br>any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2000, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sue, welcome to the landscape forum. Glad to have company. Now for your tree root problem: I'm not sure what you're referring to as fiber. The important thing is to keep the roots from air-drying so covering them up is definitely correct. You could use a dampened loose mulch or leaf mold to do the job. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

instead of putting plastic back down,we were going to put fiber cloth down instead, and then we will be hauling in new rock to put over the top of that. but there is alot of tree and bush roots that are growing over the top of the existing plastic, and since we have taken the dirt and rock out they are exposed, thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2000, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you have removed the plastic from under the tree roots, it is important to make sure that the roots have soil firmly around them. Be careful not to leave air pockets around any roots. Hope the project is going well.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 04-23-2000, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. we did however cover the roots so they won't be exposed. the owners wanted us to cut them up, no way not me. anyways i try to stick to basic lawn care. landscaping is fun when they are small projects, this one is a little to much for me, but i do a nice job and i will finish. thanks again. have a nice day.