Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemow View Post
This seems high. My dealer wants $50k for Mustang hi-flow.
Is that for the 325? That is a hell of a deal.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
Is that for the 325? That is a hell of a deal.
That is correct. It is an 09 I believe though.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talus View Post
On the SR 80 the valve cover has a big Perkins emblem. Farther back on the valve cover there s a Mitsubshi sticker. So is it a Perkins or Mitsibishi?
Mitsubishi with Perkins guts, or the other way around, Perkins block, one thing I learned about Caterpillar that is a little known fact, Cat bought out a few companies a while back, just to put them out of business, remember what happened to the PayHauler and PayLoader machines? Cat bought them just to cease production because they were competition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talus View Post
Yes, but who makes the motor? I see Both Perkins and Mitsubishi tags on it. LOL
The 3.3L in both the ASV and CAT skids/CTLs is a Mitsubishi engine branded either Perkins or CAT.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Mitsubishi with Perkins guts, or the other way around, Perkins block, one thing I learned about Caterpillar that is a little known fact, Cat bought out a few companies a while back, just to put them out of business, remember what happened to the PayHauler and PayLoader machines? Cat bought them just to cease production because they were competition.
Ron...you know I love you man, but you are getting some real poor information from your "inside source" at CAT.

The 3.3L engine is entirely a 100% Mitsubishi engine with a CAT or Perkins logo plate glued on the valve cover.

CAT does own a large percentage of Mitsubishi heavy industries...excavators- large and small, forklifts, engines, etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Only a hand full are Cat branded, the D3-5 dozers are true Cat engines, our D4 is a true Cat engine and other series.
The smaller compactors are Mitsubishi Cat branded, the bigger compactors (CS563-573) are Cats, TLB's are Mitsubishi. The older 4.4 versions are Perkins, but halfway through the production, Cat had to switch, ask anyone with a 4.4, if they say they burned a lot of oil before 1000 hours, it's a Perkins.
Mitsubishi, Perkins and true Cat 6 cylinder engines have a distinct sound when idling, that's how you can tell them apart.

I will tell you this, a member here that has very deep ties to Cat, mentioned to me in a PM that Cat has discontinued their deal with Perkins, their engines literally "explode" with the TIER regs now, they can't take the power that's needed to get the emissions down (we all know that engines work harder now due to the TIER regs) so the new small frame skid steers will be all Mitsubishi.
Ron...you need to get another source with "deep ties to CAT" because Perkins still builds all of CATs 4.4L and 6.6L ACERT engines. You are getting bum info man

I could see them switiching over to the 3.3L Mitsubishi engines in their skids, but it would be real hard for CAT to "discontinue" their deal witrh Perkins because CAT owns 100% of Perkins.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Ron...you know I love you man, but you are getting some real poor information from your "inside source" at CAT.
Watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w640TlXKYGY

Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Dump the piece of sh*t, ASV's are cheap right off the line. Buy a real skid steer, any name brand is better. Don't get me wrong, I like the undercarriages, but ASV's machine quality around their undercarriages are just crap, they even use the same engines as Cat, and Cat has had major (and still is having) issues with their engines.
Thta's what I was told about dodge trucks.. The Hemi is great but everything aorund it sucked... Not that I know for a fact, it's just what I was told.

BTW, florida has it this year.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Dump the piece of sh*t, ASV's are cheap right off the line. Buy a real skid steer, any name brand is better. Don't get me wrong, I like the undercarriages, but ASV's machine quality around their undercarriages are just crap, they even use the same engines as Cat, and Cat has had major (and still is having) issues with their engines.
Yet you never once bashed your 247B2 when you had yours...

Come on, Ron, are you just going to choose the flavor of the month and ignore everyone else while you're still chewing on it?!

I, too, am really curious who your contact "with really deep ties to Cat" is. Unless that person is disgruntled, it doesn't make much sense to bring up issues like "Cat just buys companies to put them away." There's no way they'd do that with Perkins, ever -- you may think so, but Perkins is HUGE in Europe -- losing them would defeat the purpose of having bought them in the first place.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Yet you never once bashed your 247B2 when you had yours...

Come on, Ron, are you just going to choose the flavor of the month and ignore everyone else while you're still chewing on it?!

I, too, am really curious who your contact "with really deep ties to Cat" is. Unless that person is disgruntled, it doesn't make much sense to bring up issues like "Cat just buys companies to put them away." There's no way they'd do that with Perkins, ever -- you may think so, but Perkins is HUGE in Europe -- losing them would defeat the purpose of having bought them in the first place.
Perkins 2.2 liter engines are done, they are NOT in the new small frame CTL/SSL for 2010.
This contact I have is a member here (or used to be) I knew way before about the smaller C Series before the last PM I got about hanging on to a future CTL purchase before next year.