Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Perkins 2.2 liter engines are done, they are NOT in the new small frame CTL/SSL for 2010.
This contact I have is a member here (or used to be) I knew way before about the smaller C Series before the last PM I got about hanging on to a future CTL purchase before next year.
Ron...nobody is quesdtioning whether or not CAT is not going to use the 2.2L engine or not. As a matter of fact, I'll take what your "deep contact" at CAT says and tell you I think your correct and that the small 247/257 will probably be around 65hp.

The issue was your blanket statement that the engines are "poop" and CAT discontinued "their deal with Perkins". I guess if you consider a switch to a 3.3L engine a discontinued deal you would be correct, but CAT owns Perkins and unless they sell them they aren't discontinuing any deal in that respect.

The other questionable claim was your statement about CAT using their own 4.4L engines. This is also not true unless you consider the Perkins engine to be CAT's own engine. This would be technically true since, once again, CAT owns Perkins and this would make it "their engine". It is a hard cold fact that Perkins still makes CAT's 4.4L and 6.6L ACERT engines- which would put them up to the D6 size, medium wheel loaders, etc. The very ones you say are having all of the issues. That would be a lot of machine models with problems consuming too much oil. I am very sure that you know waaay more than I do about engines, but your source is simply incorrect in this case.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
If you don't mind me asking what kind of pricing where you quoted. We were quoted around 60K for a New TL250. Then had a trade in value of like 26K for the TL150 with 1400 hrs.
The dealer I got pricing from is owned by a good friend. He said if it were a true list price iot would have been over 80K with ALL the options possible.

I really can't say the final numbers but it's close to his cost..I'm not even considering any other brands of skid steer.

2010 Takeuchi TL250
2006 ASV RC100 - Fecon Bullhog, Ammbusher DL66, Bradco rotary, Bradco Root Rake Grapple, Forks, Bucket
2008 New Holland T5070 - Bush Hog 2715L
2005 Daewoo 175 LCV - Denis CIMAF 125D Brush Cutter
2007 Kenworth T800 - Neville Built Lowboy
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikDraw View Post
The dealer I got pricing from is owned by a good friend. He said if it were a true list price iot would have been over 80K with ALL the options possible.

I really can't say the final numbers but it's close to his cost..I'm not even considering any other brands of skid steer.
Glad it sounds like you can work something out, it really sucks having something and it doesn't help the business. I have been down that road. I've heard about some power companies that have gotten a Mustang version Takkie(to replace the ASV's) to mulch/row mow and they weren't complaining about the ride, they thought with the mulcher out front it balanced it somewhat.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The first week of this job I rented a Takeuchi 140 for a low flow rotary mower. I thought the ride wasn't bad and I thought better than the ASV in certain terrain. It also did a little better in real slippery conditions wear the ASV tracks would load up and just spin.

2010 Takeuchi TL250
2006 ASV RC100 - Fecon Bullhog, Ammbusher DL66, Bradco rotary, Bradco Root Rake Grapple, Forks, Bucket
Old 12-15-2009, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
I have NEVER had a problem with any of My ASVs.

POS or not, Never had a problem

It doesn't matter what brand it is, Bobcat, Case, or what ever. Over time or right off the line some machines have trouble. Its just a fact.

I know it sucks that he's having a problem, but hes got 1800+ hours on the machine. And its not like it gets ran for 15 minutes then sits for 30, then repeat. His rig gets RAN HARD ALL THE TIME!!!. A problem of some sort is going to happen more sooner than later under those conditions. Its just how it is, its also the shite part of this business.

Sure, you could go out and buy another machine, or repair this one. It still doesn't change the fact that what ever machine comes into play, its still going to get ran hard on a daily basis Then develop some sort of a problem down the road.

Then Everybody will get to bash the replacement.

How fun.

J
Well said! It could happen to anyone. So far, my ASV is still running strong and looking good. So far no problems with all the forward and reverse motions I've been doing within a ten foot area. I even raised, lowered and angled the bucket. With all of the 450 hrs on it I should start thinking about putting money aside for the inevitable ASV breakdown. I'm curious Ron, which bobcats do you own and how have they treated you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I wanted to post a follow up for this story.

The Product Support Manager for ASV, Buck Storlie contacted me through the TBN forum and we had a very good discussion. I told him the whole story of the motor and other issues I had in the past. The best thing about Buck he didn't deny the ASV RC100 had problems but explained how each of the issues I had were improved on the PT. He mentioned a new machine coming out that he couldn't talk about until April. I really got the feeling ASV is trying hard to improve their machine and is moving in the right direction.

Then he asked if I had fixed the ASV and I replied "yes", he then said I should fax him the invoice and he would warranry the whole cost! I was speechless....this was over $10,000...

When a company stands behind a machine like that, it's saying something about them. I am interested to see what the new machines are like.

2010 Takeuchi TL250
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wow! How long ago did your warranty expire? Thats great that they are willing to do that.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

ted sounds like you may have finally come across some good luck with that machine for a change!!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buck Storlie kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has this changed your perception of Asv at all? Will you buy another or will you get a takkie like you mentioned earlier?

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw