Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Keep drinking the Koolaid.
It is all about profit.
I'm not sure what you're talking about... They won't cover it or fix it right?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
There is no Koolaid. Its a service plan you pay for. What are they going to do take your money and cancel your extended warranty? No I don't think so. The profit is factored into the cost of the warranty.
I don't know how they could warranty a machine to 5k hours. I would read the fine print on what is covered.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
I don't know how they could warranty a machine to 5k hours. I would read the fine print on what is covered.
You certainly would have to read the fine print but I have looked at it before and its a 5 year/5K hour warranty, bumper to bumper coverage. I will find the details and post them.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You certainly would have to read the fine print but I have looked at it before and its a 5 year/5K hour warranty, bumper to bumper coverage. I will find the details and post them.
If it is true these manufacturers are getting extremely stupid. Think of the things that go bad in 5k hrs, 1 UC repair like drives would eat that 5k up. That is just the beginning of 5k plus repairs that could happen in those hours.
What happens if CNH gets sold? will the new owners take on these warranty's?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If it is true these manufacturers are getting extremely stupid. Think of the things that go bad in 5k hrs, 1 UC repair like drives would eat that 5k up. That is just the beginning of 5k plus repairs that could happen in those hours.
What happens if CNH gets sold? will the new owners take on these warranty's?

Undercarriages are wear items and not likely covered, just like any other wear item tires, filters ect. If CNH were to get sold its not going to change their obligation to cover paid for extended warranties. Its not stupid. They actually make money with them, if not they would not offer them. Somewhere a beancounter factors in the warranty claims and their costs, they put a number on it and there you go.

Western States CAT does the same thing here. They also have a 5K warranty on almost everything they sell, if you want to pay for it.

Its not like this is anything new. I am surprised some seem so taken back by the concept.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how some guys don't understand extended warranties. Same as buying a truck, car, whatever. You pay so much more for them, they have figured out how much they need to charge to make money on these warranties. It all balances out, one rig they sell with the 5 year warranty may not need anything and another could need thousands in repairs before $2K hours. It's just part of the biz, trust me, those guys have done the math and they definately aren't losing money on them.

Wear items are not covered, just like cars. Any ground engaging tool, undercarriage, brakes, clutches, etc. are NOT covered. Catastrophic engine/pump/final drive failure would be.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Undercarriages are wear items and not likely covered, just like any other wear item tires, filters ect. If CNH were to get sold its not going to change their obligation to cover paid for extended warranties. Its not stupid. They actually make money with them, if not they would not offer them. Somewhere a beancounter factors in the warranty claims and their costs, they put a number on it and there you go.

Western States CAT does the same thing here. They also have a 5K warranty on almost everything they sell, if you want to pay for it.

Its not like this is anything new. I am surprised some seem so taken back by the concept.

Absolutely. It's a must have for me. I have a 48 month/ 4,000 full machine warranty, not just powertrain, through CNH with zero deductable. It's a must have IMO. Is the OEM covering their a$$ with claims/payments, price of the machine... sure. Am I covering mine? Damn skippy. If I remember it was a pretty reasonable option too.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

So what does it cover? If drive motors are wear items what else is a wear item? Engine, turbo? nothing is designed to last forever. You are right, they make money on it which makes me believe there is more to it then you would think. Otherwise wouldn't they charge a bit more for a machine and say no worries for 5 yr 5k hours? everyone would be going for that machine. Just like GM's 100k drive train warranty,My buddy just bought a truck, he actually thought that he had nothing to worry about for 100k miles, not true lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You really have nothing to worry about with such a warranty if you're doing your scheduled maintenance at the right interevals. If you think it includes getting your fluids changed and other PM items done, you are sadly mistaken. You still have to take care of the unit as if you didn't have such a warranty. If not, they will definately burn you for that. I would be documenting every single PM item so there's no debate if and when a repair needs to be made.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So what does it cover? If drive motors are wear items what else is a wear item? Engine, turbo? nothing is designed to last forever. You are right, they make money on it which makes me believe there is more to it then you would think. Otherwise wouldn't they charge a bit more for a machine and say no worries for 5 yr 5k hours? everyone would be going for that machine. Just like GM's 100k drive train warranty,My buddy just bought a truck, he actually thought that he had nothing to worry about for 100k miles, not true lol.

drive motors are not wear items. Sprockets, tracks, rollers would be if we were talking about a dozer or CTL. Man I will tell you what. Monday I will get the details. I think Dozerman has the right idea. I have never bought it before but I think I will start considering it more seriously.