Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereMan85 View Post
No one is saying it's not voidable - just saying they won't void it simply because you exceed the cost of the warranty. It's much more common for Deere to pay for things that according to the warranty they don't have to than vice-versa. There are many situations where I wouldn't pay if it were up to me but Deere steps up anyway.
So it is voluntary?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
So if a large number of customers us there machines in a fashion that causes a failure rate above and beyond what is anticipated resulting in high warranty costs what will happen then?
Deere sucks it up and pays out. What the hell else would they do? That's part of the risk they take. They also adjust their statistical model to reflect the problems they've encountered, changing the pricing structure just like an insurance policy (which as Digdeep already explained this is). They pay people with PhDs in mathematics to figure this out for them, and they are rarely wrong. The reason for the severe duty warranty is to cover people who would not be covered by the normal warranty. The higher cost allows Deere to make up for the higher claim rate.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
So it is voluntary?
No, it's not voluntary. What I meant was they more often cover items that aren't warrantied (according to the text of the purchase order which the customer signs) than they reject claims. There are a lot of claims that should be rejected, but aren't. You know how every once in a while someone gets on here and bitches because their machine broke down 2 weeks out of warranty and the dealer/manufacturer wouldn't do anything about it? That's rare, even though in principle it shouldn't be covered. Would your insurance provider cover an accident that happened 2 weeks after your coverage lapses, ya know, because you're a good customer and all? Hell no - but that is effectively what you are asking the manufacturer to do, and they usually do it. Then you wonder why the warranty keeps getting more expensive.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No, it's not voluntary. What I meant was they more often cover items that aren't warrantied (according to the text of the purchase order which the customer signs) than they reject claims. There are a lot of claims that should be rejected, but aren't. You know how every once in a while someone gets on here and bitches because their machine broke down 2 weeks out of warranty and the dealer/manufacturer wouldn't do anything about it? That's rare, even though in principle it shouldn't be covered. Would your insurance provider cover an accident that happened 2 weeks after your coverage lapses, ya know, because you're a good customer and all? Hell no - but that is effectively what you are asking the manufacturer to do, and they usually do it. Then you wonder why the warranty keeps getting more expensive.
Excellent points. The OEM steps up to the plate 99% of the time, even though the machine may technically be out of warranty, even though the failure isn't due to a "defect in material or workmanship" (what warranty is supposed to cover), etc.

I have had customers get ahold of the Bobcat regional Manager complaining about how our dealership "stiffed him", "left him high and dry", "lied to me", etc. There is usually more to the story (definitely two sides) when the Rep ends up looking into it.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Deere sucks it up and pays out. What the hell else would they do? That's part of the risk they take. They also adjust their statistical model to reflect the problems they've encountered, changing the pricing structure just like an insurance policy (which as Digdeep already explained this is). They pay people with PhDs in mathematics to figure this out for them, and they are rarely wrong. The reason for the severe duty warranty is to cover people who would not be covered by the normal warranty. The higher cost allows Deere to make up for the higher claim rate.
The rates would go up the next year if there were an unusual amount of failures, but like DeereMan85 states the OEM and the insurance company pay it our as long as it is covered under the standard terms of the extended coverage.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No one is saying it's not voidable - just saying they won't void it simply because you exceed the cost of the warranty. It's much more common for Deere to pay for things that according to the warranty they don't have to than vice-versa. There are many situations where I wouldn't pay if it were up to me but Deere steps up anyway.
Doing something that is explicitly against the operating instructions, altering the mechanics of the machine, having the owrk done by an unauthorized mechanic would all be things that could/would void warranty.

I have never heard of an OEM not covering something because a "customer cost them too much money". Warranty clearly covers "defects in material and workmanship", regardless of cost.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor had an injector go out in his 332 and it was out of warranty in years but in hours it was still way under so the dealer stepped up and took care of everything and even replaced all 5 injectors not just the one bad one.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Only a hand full are Cat branded, the D3-5 dozers are true Cat engines, our D4 is a true Cat engine and other series.
The smaller compactors are Mitsubishi Cat branded, the bigger compactors (CS563-573) are Cats, TLB's are Mitsubishi. The older 4.4 versions are Perkins, but halfway through the production, Cat had to switch, ask anyone with a 4.4, if they say they burned a lot of oil before 1000 hours, it's a Perkins.
Mitsubishi, Perkins and true Cat 6 cylinder engines have a distinct sound when idling, that's how you can tell them apart.

I will tell you this, a member here that has very deep ties to Cat, mentioned to me in a PM that Cat has discontinued their deal with Perkins, their engines literally "explode" with the TIER regs now, they can't take the power that's needed to get the emissions down (we all know that engines work harder now due to the TIER regs) so the new small frame skid steers will be all Mitsubishi.
Huh....

They are all 4.4L engines. Where are those other 4.4L engines made if Perkins isn't making them? How can CAT "discontinue" their deal with Perkins if they own 100% of Perkins?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93turbo View Post
My neighbor had an injector go out in his 332 and it was out of warranty in years but in hours it was still way under so the dealer stepped up and took care of everything and even replaced all 5 injectors not just the one bad one.
That is a good outcome. As I stated earlier, the goal for all OEMs, regardless of brand is to make sure the customer "receives fair value" for his purchase.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
That is a good outcome. As I stated earlier, the goal for all OEMs, regardless of brand is to make sure the customer "receives fair value" for his purchase.
Bobcat screwed me back in 02, and Deere tried to screw a friend in 04. They must have had a change of heart since then. I will say one thing if you plan on running tracks or VTS with your warranty, get it in writing!