Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cleanup-major time waster

Over the course of this year, I have been trying to shave off as much time as possible when I'm mowing. I've gotten to the point where I can edge as fast as I can walk, I'm pretty fast but accurate with the line trimmer, and I mow at 5th gear using a Velke so that doesn't take much time. But I have been noticing that the only place I can't shave off time is blowing at the end of the job. Im noticing it adds about 15 minutes to a 25 minute lawn. Here in Florida the grass grows fast so theres a lot of crap, it's thick and sometimes wet, and theres always the issue of getting crap in the edge. I use a Stihl BR-380 which doesn't have a lot of power and have the opportunity to buy a demo unit BR600 (barely used) at $399. I am probably going for it, but does anyone have the same problem I do?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just recently went from a br340 to a br600 but mainly for leaves. But compared to my 340 the 600 makes quick work out of "would-be" long work with the 340. You will definately shave off some time with the new blower, but I can't say for sure how much time you will save. Either way, I would get the 600, you will thank yourself after the first day you use it.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do 60 properties in and around the Windermere area so I am very familiar with what you are talking about. My solution is to use two handheld blowers at the same time. I can walk the middle of a sidewalk with high st. augustine edges and blow out both edges simultaneously. Along the curb I use one blower to push the debris along and the other blower to force it over the curb. I can direct the debris across wide driveways and also blow of back porches much more quickly. The use of two handhelds cut my cleanup time in half. There are threads on this site about people using a handheld and a bakpack simultaneously. Maybe you should give it a try. Get yourself a handheld to compliment your backpack and you will save some time -- I guarantee it. Just a suggestion and good luck to a fellow Orlando guy.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Besides leaf season I don't think I spend much more than 5-8 min blowing at the end of a mowing on lawns that average about 35 min total. But I use a mulching deck much of the time, an OCDC on others, and am careful to control where clippings are going. I lived in S. Florida and had a St Aug/Bahia lawn myself. I don't recall the cleanup being that big a deal.

I'd try the blower upgrade.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try bagging the grass, if you do this there won't be a mess to clean up. If you spend 15 minutes just blowing off the sidewalk and driveway than you are making to much of a mess. Another thing you could try is mow in a circle discharging toward the center so grass doesn't get in the street and on the concrete.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

The 380 is like using a fan compared to the br600. This is where your time is lost.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i give you kudos for trying to make good time, remember what i tell everyone that works for me, you can only go so fast as to do a great job or you will loose customers
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerMike98 View Post
The 380 is like using a fan compared to the br600. This is where your time is lost.
Yes I went from the BR340 to 600's and I saved a bunch of time per yard. Deff worth it. Used 380's go for $100-$130 at my dealer, you could sell it or keep as backup.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have that same problem with edges here. Even with a BR600 I was finding that the clippings would just get down into the edge and could be difficult to get out. I like to leave it nice and clean looking but that was costing me a few extra minutes depending on how much concrete there was. My cure was to lean the edger over a little so I got a wider "trench". I'd like to leave a nice and really tight trench but I also have to get the job done. No one has noticed, at least they haven't said anything, so I'm going with it for now.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you use a trimmer for the edges right.....if not that is one source of excess debris We use small blowers on St Augustine and never never take that much time. We mulch with output closed so nothing much to blow off. We sometimes use handheld Echo blowers often simply because it is easier.