Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will pay you $5 / for every minute we're late

This was an interesting statement that I have not run into on a website.

A promise of five dollars for every minute the plumber is late.

http://www.benfranklinplumbingbayarea.com/

What if a lawn service did something like that, say promising paying $25 if they showed up a day late or more to mow the lawn. Not merely catching up, but paying the customer.

There must be a dozen ways to spin this. It looked like a pretty good attention grabber.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

but a plumbers schedule isn't as reliant on the weather as ours is...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
but a plumbers schedule isn't as reliant on the weather as ours is...
Well, in our area anybody could come up with excuses or reasons, weather being one. Plumbers could say their schedule is reliant on traffic. And we get quite a few traffic jams here. Or now in winter, holiday traffic.

But their website does not deal with reasons or excuses about what affects reliance, but what they are willing to do.

With landscapers that might be more affected by weather, I guess the challenge is whether someone has the boldness to promise that they will at least show up in a 24 hour period. Or even 48 hours.

If a lawn service could not make it without being 2 days late, even I would not hire them, and I've faced the challenges myself.

If the reliance factor is bigger, the promise could be smaller, like $5 per day discount.

It's almost certain that a company needs at least 2 or more people, and 2 or more vehicles to make this type of promise work.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
It's almost certain that a company needs at least 2 or more people, and 2 or more vehicles to make this type of promise work.
No to be a downer, but if its rains up here, usually all the fleet is grounded for mowing and if it rains for more than 2 days, boom the entire fleet is now 2 days behind schedule.

Just because you have more trucks doesn't mean you aren't affected as much.. At least when I was in floirda, in the summer rains would at worst put you behind a couple hours.

Also keep in mind that usually with a plumber, or an electrician, someone has to be at home to open the doors, show the problems, ect. With lawn mowing, generally no one needs to be home to let us in. if the grass isn't cut on tuesday @ 9am, it will still be there Wednesday @ noon. If I have a leaky pipe on Tuesday and I have to shut the water off to my house and the plumber says He'll be there on Tuesday @ 10 I set my schedule around it. rest assured, if the plumber isn't there when they said they'd be there. I'll call another one.

If I hire a landscaper and he doesn't show up at the prescribed time, not a huge deal, but you better be calling me to let me know that you'll be late, reschedule, ect...The Key Being COMMUNICATE....
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what the D.C. growing season is like, but I sure got a taste of the winter. Pretty sure it was 1988 that I visited, maybe the next.

Lots of snow and ice. I remember walking with someone we stayed with, and bought take out Chinese food where the entire counter was behind thick bullet proof glass.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Lots of snow and ice. I remember walking with someone we stayed with, and bought take out Chinese food where the entire counter was behind thick bullet proof glass.
Thats DC...

grass stops growing in early november (fescue) we get some snow and ice. all it takes is an inch the place shuts down... last year I think we got 20 inches total the entire winter....
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they probably just budget this into their advertising budget since it catches your attention and that's how they are using it, as an advertising gig. There is always that cost per customer figure that comes into play and if he were to cut his advertising budget by $1,000 a year that allows 200 minutes a year to be late, plus he is getting the "stand out from the crowd" factor in the phone book without raising his cost per customer price.

Just how I look at it.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

my mother-in-law used them once in the dallas area, they are about twice as much as other plumbers, so they can afford to give you some if they are late.