Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Florida PCO/Licensed Fertilizer guys - how can this be legal?

In light of Florida fertilizer application laws, licensing, and regulations, particularly those in Lee County, how can this method of liquid fertlizing meet those requirements?
The following is a copy and paste from a Craigslist ad:

"We can provide for you or install a fertigation system (install is recommended and guaranteed). This system mixes a precise amount of liquid fertilizer with your irrigation system everytime you water your lawn. If you have us do the install and come by once a month or every two months, depending on how much you water your lawn, then you will have the nicest lawn in the neighborhood year round without lifting a finger. This system is tested and proven to work and we have pictures to prove it. Depending on how much you water your lawn you will see results within 1-2 weeks and the results stay."

Just curious.......
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure but I have seen these things in windermere. Not to impressed. I would think it puts down such a light dose that dries as fast as the turf is all I can think of
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They irrigation guy is not fertilizing, the homeowner is... kinda like the guy who puts on illegal tint on car windows. Hes not breakingthe law, the guy driving the car is...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

oops double post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
They irrigation guy is not fertilizing, the homeowner is... kinda like the guy who puts on illegal tint on car windows. Hes not breakingthe law, the guy driving the car is...
Some counties in Florida have enacted laws prohibiting the application of N to areas of the turf within a specified distance from bodies of water year round, and the entire turf area during the rainy season. These laws apply to homeowners, as well as licensed applicators. Also, as I read into the ad, it says the 'company' maintains the ferts in the system. Where does that leave them as far as licensing and compliance?

Just curious how Florida, as strict as it is becoming with chemical applications, would allow such a system.

Also, does this type of fertilization program promote a healthy turf that is drought, weed, and insect resistant? Why or why not?

Has anyone here had direct experience with such a system?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendave View Post
Just curious how Florida, as strict as it is becoming with chemical applications, would allow such a system.
being that its being advertised on Craiglist, should tell you that maybe they are running under the radar so to speak....
Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
being that its being advertised on Craiglist, should tell you that maybe they are running under the radar so to speak....
they're not under the radar now, are they?

Marc, you're a professional, what are your thoughts?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did have my L&O PCO Lic in florida (courtesy of disney) and had a squirt and fert biz in orlando.

I personally don't think its a good idea for HO's to put down their own chemicals. The System in florida is one of the best at ensuring that professional applicators have the knowledge to acquire the proper Lic( the tests are not gimmee's), but has no teeth for the HO market. And there just isn't enough enforcement of the "under the table" sprayers (too hard to police).

anyone can go to just about any chemical warehouse and get the "good stuff"

I think fertigation is a good thing for commercial(green house, turf farms, ect) applications, BUT, how many HO irrigation systems are poorly maintained (spraying in the street, broken heads), poorly installed(bad overlap) and poorly set(too much/little time) Id venture to say that 75% of the irrigation systems installed in florida fall into at least one of those categories....
Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I did have my L&O PCO Lic in florida (courtesy of disney) and had a squirt and fert biz in orlando.

I personally don't think its a good idea for HO's to put down their own chemicals. The System in florida is one of the best at ensuring that professional applicators have the knowledge to acquire the proper Lic( the tests are not gimmee's), but has no teeth for the HO market. And there just isn't enough enforcement of the "under the table" sprayers (too hard to police).

anyone can go to just about any chemical warehouse and get the "good stuff"

I think fertigation is a good thing for commercial(green house, turf farms, ect) applications, BUT, how many HO irrigation systems are poorly maintained (spraying in the street, broken heads), poorly installed(bad overlap) and poorly set(too much/little time) Id venture to say that 75% of the irrigation systems installed in florida fall into at least one of those categories....
Some of the details of the FL law are
No more than 1 pound of N in any application, they are probably compliant
no more than .25 pounds of P in any application, they are probably compliant
You have to be licensed as an applicator but no person is applying, the fertigation system is
bodies of water would be site specific
all in all I don't see how you could bust someone for it

As a manufacturer Florida is becoming a real pain to sell products. There are over 15 areas that have banned pesicides completely, the state gov is becoming increasingly a pain as well. We have almost thrown up our hands and said "forget it"
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendave View Post
Some counties in Florida have enacted laws prohibiting the application of N to areas of the turf within a specified distance from bodies of water year round, and the entire turf area during the rainy season. These laws apply to homeowners, as well as licensed applicators. Also, as I read into the ad, it says the 'company' maintains the ferts in the system. Where does that leave them as far as licensing and compliance?

Also, does this type of fertilization program promote a healthy turf that is drought, weed, and insect resistant? Why or why not?

Has anyone here had direct experience with such a system?
I can't speak to the laws in Florida, but I do know a little about fertigation and I can assure you that fertigation/spoon feeding is the best way to develop good turf. A simple Google search will give you hours of reading about fertigation and the advantages that it offers. I like fertigation because it allows you to use less expensive forms of nitrogen that are not slow release and because the nitrogen is applied every week or maybe several times per week you don't see the roller coaster effect of traditional nitrogen applications.