Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The coldest we have had in 20 years! Try and stay warm David.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

temps between 20 degrees to start to 38 for a few hours today. when you start at 8 degrees and work through it, and then you work in 38, 38 feels nice. guys got 21 jobs down today. I'm thrilled, we needed to rock. 70% chance of snow tonoght for a few hours, and then the predicted temps have risen a bit, start off at 13 and top out at 17. if no snow then we will go for another 15 or so down. we are between 1/3 and 1/2 done with takedowns on the 6th. we really need another 5-7 good days. 2 of my guys ( both on same crew) go back to full time college Jan. 18.

and just to make you guys feel bad...

I've got another reason to push, I am getting on the Carnival Conquest for a 7 day cruise on sunday, Jan. 24th out of Galveston, Texas. I'll be doing some more light business consulting on Saturday, the 23rd, so I have to leave here on Friday, the 22nd. 16 days from now. just for kicks check the weather in grand cayman, cayman islands. highs from 73 to 80. lows from 68-72. 16 days.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

We got couple commercials jobs down today. But tomorrow's weather forecast a foot of snow coming to Chicago land area. So lights will be on hold.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

did not take down today. more snow last night. 8 degrees right now at 9:30 am., 20 mph winds with wind chills at -15. high today is only 13 degrees. we have about 3-5 inches on the ground, sidewalks and roofs are slick with ice from the last snow. The high tomorrow is 10. starts at zero degrees tomorrow at 7 am. wind is supposed to be STRONGER tomorrow?

This is as sustained a cold here in the 20 years here that I remember. It got down to -5 and snowed a foot plus back in '89, my first winter in the ozark mountains. has not done that since. and it warmed up and melted that in a few days.

It will warm up and I will get some more lights down eventually.

If we can get a run of 5 days with 3 crews, I think we can get close to 90-95%done.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

We're supposed to have pretty good cold tonight....lows in the mid-20s. Won't get as bad as they thought...we won't get the icy roads they were anticipating. Guys worked about 1/2 day today -- winds got too bad for the ladder. The wind is what kills us here -- especially being so close to the water. The winds were 15 to 20 mph today.

Wind chill in the morning will be about 9 degrees. High of 34 tomorrow. Winds won't be as bad -- about 10-15 mph tomorrow. Should be able to work all day tomorrow. Goal is to have everybody down by Monday --- we're about 2/3 finished and the biggest homes are all down.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think you are all a bunch of sissies and so do my guys!!!! J/K

My guys are getting in 3-5 houses per crew depending on size right now in temps that barely hit 31 today and winds that dropped down to 15mph. It has been brutal this week. Temps in the teens with windchills in the single digits.

But that is nothing. One of the guys in Montana had problems installing seems it was cold enough that when they started to wrap trees with mini lights the wires were breaking in their hands. Said the temps were -10 to 0 and wind chills were -20 to -30. Now THAT is cold and makes the rest of us look like wimps.

Good luck all, supposed to get 1-3 tonite into tomorrow and had people calling today to get their lights down before the snow
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

WOW...now THAT is cold. I was mistaken on our winds today though...news said we had wind gusts up to 40 mph.

If we lived up north (which of course we wouldn't because my husband is a born and bred Texan -- lol) -- we would not be in this business. That is just way too cold for us. I wore my long johns underneath my clothes today because I was freezing...and I wasn't even working outside .

When we install, we have to be careful wrapping trees. Alot of times the temps are still in the high 90s with lots of humidity...when the temp drops the tree trunk shrinks a little and the lights slide down. So we have to make sure we wrap really tight and we carefully place a few staples to help them stay in place.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

-20 and 2 feet of snow on the ground here. I can't find the extension cords. If I had as many as you dave I might get done in June.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow britelights, I just realized that you were in Seabrook. My mom lived there for about a year working and then went back to visit the area a few times when I lived in The Woodlands for about a year. I really like that area, really neat, we use to go to the boardwalk and to a little reastaurant called tookies. Thats been ten years ago and I still have a tshirt from there. Did that area do ok in the hurricane this year?
Mineral Area Pro Wash
573-631-1315
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

That's cool. We didn't flood during Hurricane Ike, but we had roof damage and water got in the house that way. It was quite a mess last year trying to repair the house, deal with insurance and contractors, AND Christmas lights season. If you drive down Todville Road you can still see the effects of the Hurricane. Seabrook was hit pretty hard. We have eaten at Tookie's several times. Unfortunately they flooded pretty bad and haven't reopened. Their building is now for sale. Old Seabrook was hit the hardest -- alot of the little shops in old houses were completely carried away or flooded beyond repair.

You wouldn't recognize the Boardwalk if it's been 10 years. We still love it -- but we go during the week or the off-season. They've added restaurants, rides, a roller coaster --- it's changed alot.

Extreme Home Makeover (the TV show) is actually in Kemah this week. They are building a house for a family that lost their home in the Hurricane. The family has been living in a FEMA trailer on their property since Ike -- with 13 kids. They took in foster children and over the years have adopted quite a few special needs kids.