Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

got 7 down today that was 1 big job, 1 medium and 5 small jobs. 1 2 man crew. it was 2-6 degrees all day. big frostbite concerns today, but windchills were around -10. wind will pick up tomorrow and make windchills worse. 2-13 degrees tomorrow, and I just can't work the guys tomorrow. I may regret that, but sunday will be back to 19-32 degrees and then 4 days of 23-45 degree temps. no rain or snow predicted those days, so we should be able to get alot done those 5 days. under 100 to go.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we've had a run of a few days of decent weather, we are down to 55 to take down as of this morning. I have lost one of my crews, on of our colleges started monday and lost 1 guy.

lost another guy due to his inability to not get into fights when he drinks. sad, really. good employee, showed up on time, very hard worker and excellent scrambler on roofs, and was articulate when writing hanging instructions on spools.

lost one guy due to his inability to show up for work.

shop foreman decided last friday was a good time to get neutered. so no more kids for him, but he has been out for 4 days, and my guys are having to load unload by themselves. seems a small thing, but it cuts one job off each crew they get down every day. over the last 3 days, that is 9 jobs that did not get taken down in decent weather. shop foreman still has trouble walking. probably not back til thursday or friday at the earliest.

I lose another guy to our university opening next monday.

so even though I had 2 spare employees going into this week I am down 2. It looks like we will still finish by next tuesday or Wednesday if good weather holds.

we do have about 130 down by jan. 11. so better than we have ever done, but next year I need to have 3-4 spare employees. with 3 full crews plus shop foreman, we would have crossed the finish line by friday or January 15.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

had to start shifting to some larger jobs, so not cranking the numbers the past 2 days. but down to 39 left to go.

still have a few really big jobs left. space is getting tight, hard to visualize this, but I'll try to paint a picture. we have very efficient use of space racks for our wreath collection and it runs 50 feet long, 6 foot deep. and 9-10 feet high along our room 1 of our warehouse. That area is now 95% full. This has caught me a bit unawares, so we will shift the remainder of the wreaths, about 30 or so, over to our c-9 area for this year only. That area is getting tight as well, but I have room in the box area for overflow for this year only, maybe. I will know in a few days, but my suspicions are we will either be 100% in that room or I will have to store some stuff in my new inventory room, which is fine for now, our inventory is low anyway.

I have to get more space. the new building is starting in the next few weeks, hopefully. 34x90x19 side-24 feet tall peak. ahh, that is what I call an excellent add on for cubic footage.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

That's good only 39 left! When do you think you will be done? We started today taking lights down the weather here is in the 40's!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Finished...finally!!! Yeah!!! Finished last one yesterday afternoon. Went out for Mexican food for dinner to celebrate. Onto tax season...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Congrats on being finished, here we haven't even started. We tried to do a takedown today, but all the extension cords and ground staples are frozen to the ground and will not come out. Guess we will have to wait a while longer.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we have 33 more to go. should get 9 tomorrow, 6 on one crew sat, but then Monday -thursday are some really chunky jobs. I'm talking 7-9 spools of 300 ft c-9's on each of 5 jobs that week.

If possible I save the really big ones for the end, as I figure it this way- If a crew can get 6 medium and small jobs down in a day rather than one or 2, there are less people that can complain that we have not gotten thier lights down yet.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

congrats brite ! good job on finishing early. I knwo where you ate mexican food ! see you in a week !
Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You all stink, we hit the 1/2 way point yesterday.

We are doing our take downs by town. We will be going back to some with cords frozen in the ground.

We are expecting 40 degree weather starting today for a few days so that should help.

Trying to be done by the 26th. Which is 2 days earlier than we finished last year so that would be nice.

Unlike David we dont really start takedowns until the 7th. We have most of our customers that celebrate little christmas on the 6th so we have only been taking down in earnest for about 1 week.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

little Christmas? is that like epiphany, when the wise men brought the gifts to baby jesus? I know that hispanics here celebrate that. but I have none that we do Christmas lights for.

wow, waiting til Jan 7 would give me hives. This year, I also had the Cruise staring me in the face as a deadline in 6 days. I normally schedule my season ending cruise around the first week of Feb.

we have many frozen cords thawing in gutters right now. even though we have had days in the 50's, we still pulled cords out with ice chunks frozen on them yesterday.

should be down to 14 by the end of today. I did not want to pay overtime this week, so I rested a crew for today and tomorrow, and only running one crew today. I may regret that decision if we get rain more than one day mon-thursday. I've left friday open for one rain day. next week, many of our chunky jobs. instead of the guys getting 5-7 per crew per day, more like 2 jobs per crew per day. but getting down to so few jobs that there are hardly any folks left to complain. I would say we did not have too many true complaints this year, just calls of concern of when folks call and ask when are they scheduled. I usually respong to those folks by trying to do their route the next day.

I had 2 this year that called and asked when they were scheduled and it actually was that day. one, seriously, already had her lights down and had not noticed they came that day. I asked her to look and see if she had lights on her house, as I thought the guys had already been there that morning, and of course she felt pretty silly after she looked. and said so.

Out of wreath space, still have 8 more to come in. getting nervous on c-9 space. may run out of rack space.