Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

A little off topic, but I'm curious how you have the pump hooked up. I assume you have a submersible pump in some kind of cage. I'm just wondering how that works for you as far as maintenance on the pump. I built a similar water feature and the client insisted on using an external pool style pump which has turned out to be a pain in the neck for maintenance.
Very dramatic looking landscape, I like it a lot.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as your actual question I actually might be able to help. I don't have a whole lot of experience with algae control in ponds this large, but there are a couple products we use. The one which I've found works very well on smaller features is Algaway, which would probably be an incredibly expensive for a pond this size. It sounds to me like trying to control pH, nitrates, or any other quality of the water is a losing battle with the stream coming into it so you need to look at other avenues. I believe your best solution is going to be sufficient water plants with the addition of water dye, the idea being reduce the amount of light to the bottom and reduce the plant growth. The dye would be a much easier answer than adding chemicals to control the algae, and the lightly blue tinted water actually looking quite nice. Aquashade is the product we use, though you must calculate your total volume to a reasonable degree, since one gallon of dye treats over a million gallons of water. Look into it, I think this is your answer.

Last edited by dinozaur; 12-09-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: double post
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Tom and Terrie Shelton 017email.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  21.5 KB we installed the pump on a stainless steel frame to keep it about 18" off the ground. Ran the hose along the bottom and brought it up out of the pond under the gazebo overhang.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce, how is that pump working out for you?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce reading your original post on another forum with the golf course being right there your algae problem might be from all the ferts they put down???? Can any of the Golf course water run into your waterfall and the spring?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the entire perimeter of the pond walled like what is seen in the photos? What is the water depth around the perimeter? The reason I ask is, as has been previously stated, you need to add a fairly large number of aquatic plants of various species. (Diversify much as nature does) And I would add these plants to the larger pond area, not to the area with the Koi. Koi are notoriously destructive and will uproot or try to uproot any plantings in their environment.

Although water dye (AquaShade,etc.) will control the pond algae by inhibiting sunlight penetration, it may also hide the Koi.

As to what I thought was the reason behind your original post, the only true way to control string Algae is to STARVE it. Active controls of the nutrient load in the water column along with periodic manual removal of the String Algae is the only way to maintain any aesthetic appeal. There IS NOT at present a complete chemical control for String Algae on the market, no matter what the ads say.

Last edited by tadpole; 12-10-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: wording
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

@ Keith it could have something to do with it. The customer is stopping fertilization above the pond also.
I like the pump so far, we'll see what this year does to it.

@ tadpole
I will see if I can talk them into plants in the larger part. I'm probably going to add another floating island this year also, the koi loved it for the shade. As for the concrete walls they are only on about 1/6th of the perimeter. Let me try to get an entire pic of the pond in for you guys.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  show3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  83.7 KB
Pond before the plants.
Water depth around perimeter is probably a few inches ,sloped pretty quick in most areas.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really a beautiful pond. The first posted pics gave no hint as to overall appearance. Some marginal Aquatic plants grouped randomly around the grass perimeter would be the final touch to a fantastic view.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Wurkn-

How 'bout an update on this.