Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting Started

First off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Travis and I am from the greater Philadelphia area. This summer, my friend and I are looking to get into the landscaping business. We are looking to do everything legally. We will be filing for LLC within the next couple of weeks and then getting insured shortly there after. My question to all of you who have done this before is how exactly do you go about getting customers? I currently have fliers in the works and will be printed up soon. How else would I go about getting people to hire us? Is putting fliers under the wipers of cars legal or worth the effort? When is a good time to start advertising? We don't want to start to early and be forgotten, but we don't want to start to late and not get any work. Any suggestions from those who have recently went through the same situation? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor and get rid of your buddy, it will not work out as a partnership. Whoever has the equip should be the sole owner and hire the other guy for an hourly rate if you need him. I'd also suggest being solo first.

As for the windshield wipers, don't do it, everyone will do the same thing I do and that is throw them on the ground, start up the truck and take off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I know there are thousands of reasons why you would say a partnership wont work but I was wondering what your particular reason is.

I should have mentioned that I am a full time college student and he is a full time carpenter which puts a restriction on both of our availability. Also in tough times like these, it is nice to have someone to split the costs with. I would be open to it if I knew I had enough customers to make this venture worth my investment but I just cant be sure of that yet. That is just how im looking at it. I am completely open to what you have to say though, you definitely have more experience than me.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's put down 1 situation. You guys agree to have one guy in the field and one in the office, well the guy in the field will get sick of being in the heat, so he says either we switch up our duties or I'm leaving. The guy in the office says hell no, boom, partnership done. Ask anyone on here what they think of partnerships and they will say the same. This business is not meant for partnerships, other fields of work allow for it, such as accounting firms, ie. Larson Allen, Eide Bailey, etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If one has the equipment, don't go in it 50:50, as I have found out, cant work, plus you equipment gets split. Not really a good idea. And best friends seem to be the ones that have the worst endings! Iv bee there first hand!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

We both have two pickup trucks. Everything other than hand tools and the smaller things will have to be bought.

What have you guys found to be successful in the advertising department?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since on my own, I haver used the good ol flyer method. Seems to work, but last year, I just went to businesses and just asked if I could place a bid for lawn care. Most were more than eager to get a fresh bid and I picked up a couple of small restaurants and a gas station like that! I haven't messed with yellow book or any other ways like that. Take you time and get the properties that you want to mow or every week will be a drag.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do what you want but you will soon realize what we are saying.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGLandscapeMaintenance View Post
You do what you want but you will soon realize what we are saying.
I realize what you are saying and I definitely appreciate the advice. I understand that partnerships are not always the best idea when going into business. For right now though with other commitments we are gonna give it a try. The worst that happens is either one or both sell out.

rcslawncare- How did you go about handing out fliers? Door to door?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did to door to door y my self, haven't really explored having others hand the flyers out. Its worked, but you sure do need to pass out a lot to get the 1 or 2 lawns that you want!!