Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Shindy Backpack- remote handle or not

Gang,

I'm going to purchase a Shindy Backpack blower Model 802. The problem is it comes in two models, one plain and one with a remote throttle to be used with your left hand.

I'm thinking it would be more comfortable to have the throttle in another hand while using my right hand to swing the tube side to side or is it not a problem to have the throttle control on the tube and leave you a free hand to move patio furniture, open a gate etc.

For what its worth, i've been using a hand-held unit so i have experience with a backpack

Comments welcome.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa EB-802 blower it's the remote throttle version with speed control, so your left hand controls the throttle but it can also be free plus you set the blower at any speed you want and it stays. I went with that because my dealer said some guys have had trouble with the "on the tube throttle" Mostly because any blower with the throttle on the blower tube has a unprotected cable that runs down the tube. So when you're blowing out bushes, shrubs, under low trees or in thick brush it can get hung up and rip off if you're not careful. This is one of the flaws (in my and many other impartial landscapers opinions) of the stihl blowers that only come in tube mounted throttle models.

On a side note..... you'll hear a lot of br-600 loyalists on here but most stihl guys have tunnel vision and only buy stihl regardless of who makes the best type of handheld their looking for. Also my stihl dealer even admits the 4mix is not yet a proven design for the long term and I don't want to deal with valve adjustments and 50+ more moving parts in a valve train on a backpack blower. The 4stroke designs are pushed by the EPA not the manufactures, they would make 2 strokes if it was unregulated. The EB802 is NOTICEABLY more powerful than the br600 also.

It's great to see you are going with the Shindaiwa 802, I had mine for a full year now and it runs like a ferrari. I use 89 octane and husqvarna XP synthetic blend oil and I do notice a more power. It's bullet proof You will love it
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is a personall preference because one is no better than the other. I prefer the tube mounted throttles. I have one left hand throttle on a Echo and I like the tube mount on my others better. Just remember they put it both ways because everyone has different likes and dislikes.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like Turf Dawg, I prefer tube throttles. Over the years, I've had both hip and tube throttles. My main dislike for hip throttles was simply that I had to fold down the throttle when starting the blower and then fold it back up when finished. In addition, to me, it just seemed like it was in the way. I just recently converted an Echo PB-755 over from hip throttle to tube and couldn't be happier.

All in all, it simply comes down to operator preference. Like the other guys have said, that's why companies make both. You won't go wrong with either decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2009, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had my EB802 RT for six months now and it is very powerful and still getting stronger. The unit starts up second pull from cold every time ( a few times with one pull) and 1 pull when warm. The throttle response is great, revs up very quickly and holds RPM dead on. The unit is very solidly built with many metal components rather than plastic seen on other units; for example the choke lever is metal on the EB802. The EB802 takes a while to break in and in the time that i have had mine I have seen its top RPM rise from 6800 when new, to 7100 as of yesterday. All in all I highly recomend this blower...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I like both hip and tube throttle setups and both can get hung up. Some say the tube throttle cable is prone to snagging on brush but this seems to be a matter of opinion. The hip throttle cable replacement is a faster to fix than the tube arrangement though sometimes the entire arm snags on the hip throttle. My Echo had the Hip throttle and the only issue i had was that sometimes i would inadvertently shut it off when donning the blower. One advantage of the tube throttle is leaving your left hand free to possibly use a hand-held blower at the same time. This can quicken large cleanups by using the hand-held to contain and direct some of the debris that your backpack is pushing. I really think its a personal opinion unless you live in the northeast where every dealer will likely only have the hip throttle because the dealers like fast quick fixes...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info and comments. I was leaning towards the remote model. I too had thought about the cable getting hung on branches, furniture, etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go with remote on the left the other side has problems with cables and wires catching on things and long term they can be a constant problem.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had several blowers over the years. All but one have had the throttle on the tube. I definitely prefer this setup. There were times the left hand throttle would get in the way when doing bushes tight up around the house. I thought this was more annoying than the cable running down the tube. I have never had a cable rip out and I have had many employees. I twist the tube 1x so the cable wraps around. Personal preferences.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
I. I twist the tube 1x so the cable wraps around. Personal preferences.
What brand do you have? Usually the problems occur when the workers twist the tube around one time. It breaks the throttle cable at the carb and/or breaks the on/off wires-not right away but with time. At least that is the failure mode on stihl and echo.