Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

First phone call form

I am going to create a form that i will fill out everytime a new customer calls for an appointment for lights. I would like some help with questions that i should include on the form. So far the following is what i have, some are very self explanatory.

Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone number
alternate phone number
Subdivision
Type of house
Sq. ft. of house
referred by
budget
had xmas light service before
if yes, who

Anymore would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think a phone process form is a great idea, but I am not so sure it will work in practice. I probably field 250-300 calls per year for Christmas lights, and qualify those down to 80 bids or so.

what I do-

my first main goal/qualifier on the phone is to make sure people know the range of dollars for my services runs from 500 bucks to 50k bucks. My 2nd goal/qualifier is to ensure folks know we only install what we sell. After those first two things, If they are still interested, my 3rd goal is get a bid time in front of all decision makers, or both spouses.

When I do a qualified bid and both spouses are there and they both meet me and talk to me, I close 80% of those appointments. when I only meet with one spouse, or one disappears and does not talk or ask questions, that drops to closer to 15-20%. I make sure I write in my calender meeting time ( and always do -ish "5-ish, 5:30 ish" to allow for lateness. ) their name, phone number and address and city.

if I remember, I also ask how they found out about me. that identifies referral, yard sign, yellow pages, post card, etc. I write that in my calender and put that on my copy of the bid sheet I keep. That is probably the most important thing to do is track what marketing is working for you, but I fail to ask often.

some thoughts on what you propose-

Asking for a budget on the phone is a landmine. probably most of my customers that spent 3 grand or more with me would say they were thinking 500-1000 bucks before they met me.

asking thier subdivision is ok if you ae getting directions to the house. but combining that with a budget question, square footage, wealthy people will get their suspicions of you. It sounds like you are fishing for how much money they have. I will admit when folks are asking how much this service costs over the phone and they volunteer what the square footage of the house is, I can usually tell if they can afford this service. If they don't have 3000 square feet, then my close ratio just went down to 10% or less. exceptions, yes. but not the rule.

asking the type of house seems extra too. that is really only important when you are bidding the house. clay tile roof, stucco finish, etc.

asking if they had service before would identify poisoned customers that are a waste of time.