Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

21' Toro Commercial: Kawasaki 6HP vs. Honda 5.5HP engines

Toro dealer- if you had to pick a mower for its durability and longevity would it be the Kawasaki or the Honda?

I have had bad experience w/ the Kawasaki (purchased about 7 years ago) and great experience with the Hondas; however, I am told the new Kawasakis have improved greatly and are much faster than the Hondas....?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Sponsor

Datowe -
Toro 21" Heavy Duty WPMs, powered by Honda and Kawasaki engines, both utilize the same 3-speed gearbox so there is no difference in groundspeed. Both engines have performed extremely well, providing excellent durability and reliability. Several years ago there were some initial problems with the new Kawasaki FJ180V engine that were covered under warranty, but the issues were resolved and that engine has been pretty trouble-free for some time.

-The Toro Company
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest the Kawasaki FJ180V KAI series engine. I've had toro/exmark 21" units with both the honda and kawasaki engines on them. The honda is a nice motor. Very good on fuel but it lacks power. The kawasaki has very good power and is quite fuel-efficient. The original series that was first produced in 2004 and continued until 2007 had issues on them. However, the 2008 model year had a revised KAI series engine and that engine has been great. I have it on my exmark metro 21' that I bought in 2008 and I've been very impressed with its performance. Always starts on first pull, is fuel-efficient and runs smooth and strong.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the toro with the kawasaki. Not much time on it yet but it does seem powerful. I chose it because I believe the torque numbers were higher than the Honda, and it was also cheaper. I'm sure the Kawi will be a decent engine. Seemed like a no-brainer, as I do not pile the hours on 21's anyway.