Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Higher lift for 40" decks

Does Toro offer a blade with more lift than the standard high lifts that come with the mowers as sold? I have the 40" floating deck walk behind. I am also getting a lot of grass packing the deck and falling out in clumps compared to my toro 44" deck and other brands and am looking for a solution.

Also, is there a higher lift mulching blade available than the one that comes with the mulching kit?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Sponsor

Bruce32-
The standard blade shipped with TURBO FORCE decks is a high lift blade. It is the highest lift “sail” blade that Toro offers. As you know, the 40” uses a three blade design and as such it has incredible vacuum that contributes to a very clean cut. Some customers have indicated that switching to the medium sail blade reduces the vacuum and results in less grass accumulating on the underside of the deck, without sacrificing quality of cut. Results can very by region of the country, type of turf mowed and time of year, but it may be worth a try.

-The Toro Company
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro-

Is this 40" TurboForce deck you're referring-to the same as will be offered on the 2010 Grandstand (model 74536)? I am asking from the point of whether the 2010 Grandstand 40" deck is 'proven' or something new (or even modified to this application) being introduced 'for the first time'. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Sponsor

mysteryman -

Good question. All three new GrandStand models, 36", 40" and 60" utilize existing/proven TURBO FORCE decks. The 36" and 40" TURBO FORCE decks have been used on Toro mid-size walk-behinds for four (4) years, while the 60" TURBO FORCE is the same deck used on our Z Master zero-turn riders since 2003. The only real differences are in how the decks physically mount-up to the GrandStand, and the fact there is no belt misalignment with GrandStands because the deck and engine/crankshaft move together when cutting height is adjusted.

-The Toro Company
Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Terrific, I've read great things about these decks, that's really good news. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Unfortunately my bone stock 40" toro turboforce deck with maybe 50 hours on it does not have even good vaccum, much less "incredible". Yet at the same time it's packing the deck with clippings.

That's my problem. I would understand if it packed the deck but vaccumed like a banshee. Or if it didn't have as much vaccum power but didn't pack the deck. I cut the same grass with an old 44" toro wb, a 48" exmark ztr, and a 44" gravely ztr. The new 40" by far accumulates clippings faster and lacks enough vaccum to even pick up leaves if they are not sitting on top of the lawn. I sectioned my lawn off as a test and tried them all. I've also varied the baffle positions trying to see an improvement with little luck.

Now I have the mulch kit on it and while it's not terrible, it does have significant blowout and again does not pick up, recycle, and mulch anything close as well as the Exmark. It contours well and that is why I got it, to mow Bermudagrass lawns where a ZTR is too heavy. But if there is a simple improvement I can make I would be interested in hearing it.

The blades are the high lift OEM ones.

I'm to the point where I would even consider removing ALL baffles to see if that resulted in at least a more SFS style cutting ability.

I have been waiting months for a Grandstand 40" to become available and replace one of my ztrs, but if this is the deck's performance I can't afford to do that.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 40" deck on a Toro W/B. It does get buildup when mulching; however doesn't seem to get too gummy when side discharging. Does a great job of blasting out the clippings!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I checked it with the mulch kit on after mowing a few and no buildup, which is good news. We'd had a wet spell lately and when in discharge mode it was worrying. I think the grass type (ryegrass seedlings) had a lot to do with it. (or I hope so).

I'm still looking for ideas on getting more suction from the deck. I may double up the blades and see how that goes.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

How well does the 40'' w/b do in mulching on a weekly basis during the growing season. I thinking about buying a new w/b or a grandstand in a 40'' this spring.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Only used it a few weeks during the growing season when Bermuda was active, and it did fine, but honestly conditions were not that demanding. So a true test in tough conditions would be months away. I may swap it for a GS 40" if I'm sure the deck is what I need it to be.