Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2000, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I am finishing a sod, bed prep, and mulch walkway today. Actually I am just finishing the walkway portion. Anyway the stone they had picked out is Tennessee Quartz Side (or something like that) 2&quot;. This rock is kinda jagged. I was originally looking for a more rounded smooth stone. Well I am going to use the stone they want and my question is this. What can I do to make this walkway look nice. I feel like the jagged edges are going to make it look sloppy. The size pieces vary and the walk is a straight shot. I am just laying the rocks on top of the mulch, nothing else. Any recommendations or ideas. Or just stagger them and let it be?<br>thanks,<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-18-2000, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I have installed some wakways along the what i think is the same style. I would have to see/ hear more details to really give you a better idea. Is this walkway in front of the house makeing you feel like it should be more formal? Is it in a side yard with plants all around or is there turf all around it? Sometimes a curve might help. You might also tell the people exactly what you said here, that you think it will look sloppy. I would also recomend that you not just place the stones on top of the mulch. This will cause the stones to always be rocking, which i feel isnt a high quality feature and also a real liabily when granny trips on them. I set them each in dust, but at least dig them into the ground and make sure that when you walk on them the dont move, i think useing dust makes this easyer. You might look into planting some low growing plants in and around the stones. I have used mondo grass with good results, but i dont know your situation or if this would look right. Hope i helped some.
Old 04-18-2000, 04:53 PM
Lawnsite Addict

What size are the stones, if 2&quot; and under you could place them in a sinlge layer and run a plate tamper over them to set them.<br>Why not use mulch as a pathway? it's done all the time with parks.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 04-18-2000, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Well guys I laid it today and it turned out pretty nice. I set the pieces above ground and got them in the order I wanted them. Then I went back and dug the mulch and set it in there. I packed the mulch around the rock and washed off the mulch. It turned out pretty well and the clients liked it. Oh well, I got paid.<br>Thanks for your input.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY