Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Media is a good avenue to consider if need be too. An over site of the service you offer, experiences and willingness to work with clients etc, then examples of past situation to prove how accommodating you try to be or something like that.

I am in the same boat also, money seems to come as it is convenient or so it seems. Good luck!!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest talking to that attorney also about doing business with him and have him lower his rate for you. You will be needing him from time to time. I ended up hiring on an attorney early on. You only pay for him when you need him when you are a smaller business like yourself. You can use the cost as a business expense in some cases. But you will need him again and again, so try to work a deal on his hourly rate to use him exclusively. Any decent attorney is willing to give you a lower rate as a small business.
As for the deadbeat woman with the freakin lights....This is the type of ******* we all deal with occassionally. They want, they want, they want....then they demand. I would have told her to hire an electrician to eliminate the problem. If it happens with mini lights....it happens with everything else. summer, winter, spring or fall the outlet is a problem. If she wrote that down or in a letter or email to you....keep it. Thats evidence. She admits to a problem not related to you or your work. Screw her and move on. NASA can keep that idiot.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Reads like a novel

Man. I just read through this entire post and as a newbie just starting out, damn, I learned a lot. Written contracts are essential. Btw, any sample contracts anybody would care to share? I imagine they should be drawn up by a lawyer in order to be binding? Anyways, how did everything end? Also, when is the made for TV movie?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This thread, like so many over the years, provides a lot of training for folks thinking of doing this for a living. I have often commented that the first thing anyone should do when considering this business is to spend a few dozen hours reading all threads and posts here going back 3-5 years. It is better than nearly any Christmas book or video series you can buy.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can;t agree enough Dave. By the time I moved forward with HBL, from reading this forum and speaking with people such as yourself, Bryan, Hot Rod, I had a fairly clear picture of how this business progresses!!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

glad I read this one, deffinetly a leason learnt here. One thing I don't hesitate to do is threaten a lien on the property. Here in MA you have to wait 3 months after contract payment date terms to file the lien but at 2 months you must notify the customer of your intentions and give them the final month to pay. That letter of intent to file the lien has gotten me paid immediately on all but one non payer who still has a lien on their propery
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

agreed...I have read a lot of good advice on here...
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

People are generally good. I get my share of the nuts.

Wow, Its been awhile....I got this recent story. This guy had me tear down his shed. I have a compact jd which made it relatively easy. I had him sign a simple "shed removal-haul away as junk" form.
The next day he comes home and says the following..." The roof was still good! what the hell are you doing, I have a new shed going in next week and I was using that roofing material!" Folks...That was a twelve pack night for me. I still laugh at this jerk. They get funny sometimes.