Register free!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone use Ewing?

Just discovered we have a local Ewing store now and wondering if anybody uses them already and if they are easy to deal with?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I buy my chems from them. My local guys are really good to deal with. My salesman is not on commision so he doesn't pressure me to buy what I don't need. He used to work for a large local lawn and tree business doing applications so he has years of experience.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Just found them also! Their prices are very competitive and some are cheaper than what I am paying now. I talked to them and will give them a try this year.

What part of Alabama are you in?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the guys are great, they have a great system for hiring in fact I copied it and that was the beginning for my hiring system. So they have a knack for hiring good guys.

At Ewing like most wholesalers you get a "screen" or price point based on how much you buy, or your relationship with the management. I have a great screen because I used to be part of a huge company and when I went out on my own the manager gave me the old company screen or prices. They will get you by charging very low for some stuff then nail you for others so just pay close attention if you are tight. Don't be afraid to ask for a better screen the managers have a lot of discretion on what goes on in their store.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

kes, i'm in huntsville. Do business in Madison county and eastern Limestone Co.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I buy 100% of my product from them now. They treat me like gold. I'm just a mid-sized company, and they bend over backwards to help me out. Even took me down to a NASCAR race this past spring. I'm not the biggest NASCAR fan, but it was a pretty nice gesture. I'll be a customer for life.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use them for my irrigation parts, but they are too high for me for chems and ferts here. i get them much cheaper with Helena.

the guys i deal with here are very good at helping me out, i even call them for some technical things from time to time in the field and they always help. overall, they are a good company and seem to hire very good help
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ewing in my area only carries irrigation and some landscaping supplies for the most part. Occasionally they will send me a flyer with some "deal' on fertilizer. I went in to check it out last year when fert prices went through the roof and they had about 10 tons total as a "sale" item and the manager admitted that they kept very little fert on hand. They had no chems to speak of. I explained that I go through 8-10 tons per round at this point and I needed stability in supply as well as price. He was helpful but said I'd just have to check back for availability. In the early days I may have been able to do that but these days I can't run my business that way.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor