Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Trevor8's Avatar
Trevor8 Trevor8 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IA
Posts: 750
Website

do websites actually help bring in customers? If you have a website how many customers do you get from it year? What is the best way of Advertising flyer's, door hangers, lettering on a truck, or any other way?
__________________
36" Exmark TTHP with bull rider sulky
21" Toro personal pace
Stihl KM 55 with weed eater and edger
stihl HH blower
Homelite BB blower
5X8 trailer
Toyota Tundra
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
MidWest Falcon's Avatar
MidWest Falcon MidWest Falcon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Derby, Ks
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor8 View Post
do websites actually help bring in customers? If you have a website how many customers do you get from it year? What is the best way of Advertising flyer's, door hangers, lettering on a truck, or any other way?
This is my company's website that we created for the upcoming season http://pantherlawnservice.com/

We haven't gotten any customers yet but we really haven't started advertising either. We are also going to add a place to submit contracts, show equipment, etc .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
gl1200a gl1200a is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Coralville, Iowa
Posts: 518
There is a good amount of website visits as long as you have your URL getting out there. You'll find it very advantageous to have your website address be the same as your business name so people can simply assume that if they add .com to your business name that they will find your website and full details of your services and advantages.

Hey, Midwest Falcon you have a nice start to a website, but why is it almost all black and white and so small on the page? You may consider using a full range of eye catching colors and fill the page up with oversize fonts and prints to fill your space and make it grab their attention. Most web.coms offer a full range of colors and fonts and add-ins and ways to add flair and photos and anything else you can think of. Not asw an ad, but I use Web.com and find it very useful for the $30.00 fee. Just a thought.

Take care...
__________________
Coral Lawn Care
JD 797 Z-Trak 72" Deck
Lesco Stander
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM
MidWest Falcon's Avatar
MidWest Falcon MidWest Falcon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Derby, Ks
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a View Post
There is a good amount of website visits as long as you have your URL getting out there. You'll find it very advantageous to have your website address be the same as your business name so people can simply assume that if they add .com to your business name that they will find your website and full details of your services and advantages.

Hey, Midwest Falcon you have a nice start to a website, but why is it almost all black and white and so small on the page? You may consider using a full range of eye catching colors and fill the page up with oversize fonts and prints to fill your space and make it grab their attention. Most web.coms offer a full range of colors and fonts and add-ins and ways to add flair and photos and anything else you can think of. Not asw an ad, but I use Web.com and find it very useful for the $30.00 fee. Just a thought.

Take care...
Thanks! Like I said, it is just a "rough draft" so far and we are always looking to upgrade it. We just started last year and are getting all of our advertising ideas in order for the spring. Hopefully the website helps....it definitely can't hurt!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM
polerpoker polerpoker is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 102
I hate to say this but that is the stupidest question I have ever heard. sorry. let me ask you something, have you every used the web to research a company or buy something.... ask a 20 year old if they have ever used the yellow pages... or wait hold on I am going to forward this qoute to the CEO of Google "do websites actually help bring in customers?"

Really? if your not on the web and working it from every angle possible than your not advertising...

I guess there are exceptions I dont know where you live, but for me and where I live everybody is on the net.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Now don't get too excited, I had a wee bit prior experience but other
than business cards that's all I have and use anymore, a Web site.

Couldn't tell you actual numbers, but I can tell you the last two new callers
whom I personally asked them how they got my number, said the Internet.
That was this month, last week for that matter.

So, a few...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM
EastCoast's Avatar
EastCoast EastCoast is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melville, NY
Posts: 307
A website it a great place to describe the services you provide and your domain name should appear everywhere you advertise, in fliers, yellowpages, truck & trailer etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 AM
MikeKle MikeKle is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,255
One of my customers creates website for companies, and has asked me about making one for my lawn care company, she said it would cost me around $250. to get it up and running, then around $60. per year to maintain, but this includes the discount she is giving me. I dont know how much it would help a lawn care business though? Most people either look in the yellow pages or ask their friends if they know anyone, but it could work for some?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
One of my customers creates website for companies, and has asked me about making one for my lawn care company, she said it would cost me around $250. to get it up and running, then around $60. per year to maintain, but this includes the discount she is giving me. I dont know how much it would help a lawn care business though? Most people either look in the yellow pages or ask their friends if they know anyone, but it could work for some?
That's not a bad deal but I would ask if the code would turn up to meet the
W3c's strict standards and specifications?
Probably the answer would be either a blank stare, a no, or a bunch of fast talk.

What is the W3c?
They are the World Wide Web Consortium, the authority of organizations in matters of how Web sites should be built,
why, because they speak not only from experience but strictly in terms of design and matters of coding specifications
that enhance not only the visitor's experience but actually facilitate the browser's code interpretation (as in, it makes
sure what goes on behind the scenes happens exactly the way it's supposed to).
In summary, these folks know what they're doing.
http://www.w3.org/

What?
A browser is software, it interprets code, then it renders.
When the code fails to meet standardization and specifications, the software coughs and sputters.
Sure it still works, but it's like a V-8 with 2-3 miss-firing plugs.

Most folks say that's just too confusing or difficult to understand, but why a designer can't dig in to it?

Other than that it's still not that bad of a deal.

Last edited by topsites; 12-17-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM
lotsagrass's Avatar
lotsagrass lotsagrass is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 607
Speaking as an average person and not a lawn care company, I will say for me, I like to see a web site and not a super cheesy one. It's pretty inexpensive these days to have someone throw together a nice, simple, clean good looking web site. I'd like to see some example photos (descent photo quality) of your work like examples of cut lawns, etc. Sometimes this pushes me over the edge to doing business with someone, if I see they have a descent web site. For others, it may mean nothing though. Depends on the customer. I think it would be helpful though.
__________________
Photo Gallery of the 'Guy Stuff' (eXmark, Stihl, etc): GALLERY LINK
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.11342 seconds with 7 queries