Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I wonder how long the internet will be the same as it is now? The internet has been in popular use for about 12-15 years now.. Is that about right? I know it was actually created much earlier though, but Im referring to the time its been really popular, with most households having access. IF we look at technologies history, computer type technology is almost constantly changing, and the computers I used in high school are not even comparable to the computers of today! Which would mean the computers grade school kids are learning to use today will be completely different to the ones they will be using in 20 or so years. and that will also mean the internet will be totally different as well, who even knows how the internet will be used then? Back in the mid 90s, only computer geeks and the military used the internet, now it is used for everything. and in the future, it will definitely not be the way it is today. I dont know whether to go as far as calling it a "fad" or not, but when you look back, usually things like this turn out to be fads, and one day all us old guys will be sitting around talking about how cool the internet was, and the young guys will not even know what we are talking about!!
I disagree. I think the internet will become an installment like the telephone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's keep in mind this part here, the World Wide Web, only makes up
a small percentage of the network's actual use.

Then it already is an installment, too many things rely on the network for things
to change but so fast and so drastically, no doubt things will improve and
changes will happen over time...

Online banking is likely to grow considerably, one of several strong points
and I dare say at this point a constant like search engines.

Some things never change, these are the constants, things you can count on.
There will ALWAYS be search engines, and now I dare say online banking and
bill pay for sure too, can't think of much else right now heh

But it's here to stay, it's been that way for a long time, you gotta figure even 10-15 years ago...
Probably the one event most responsible for it becoming a household item would have been the release of Windows 95,
which brought along a whole slew of related devices and software and what have you, this is what eventually also
resulted in the bubble that eventually crashed circa 2000 in the dotcom bust.
Companies like Microsoft didn't stick their necks out so they could lose money, although I will give that they took their chances.
Damn we were stupid then thou.

Which that, by the way, would have been the event that marked the time before this that the economy went bust.
And we thought we had learned our lesson, but...

Last edited by topsites; 12-18-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It would have been better to say you have 15 years of experience rather than saying your company was started in 2009, it just sounds better. And why would you even need 2 guys to do 20 yards when you do not have any football coaching to do?

As far as the internet becoming like the telephone... I really doubt that! Even nowadays, only about 30% of households have internet access. I was surprised by this number, I thought it would be around 80-90%. Plus whenever something is in demand and popular, everybody thinks it will be around forever, and dont see how we could have lived without it. But just look back at all the things we once thought this way about and now are gone! When I was growing up, we never had the internet or cell phones,and we got by just fine! It will the same for todays kids when they grow up, they will be looking back to when they used the internet and laughing, it will be the same with cell phones, no technology(well except for the telephone) has ever lasted generation after generation. But we will have some mobile way to get ahold of each other though, but who knows what it will be? but we can be sure it will be NOTHING like what we are using now.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
It would have been better to say you have 15 years of experience rather than saying your company was started in 2009, it just sounds better. And why would you even need 2 guys to do 20 yards when you do not have any football coaching to do?

As far as the internet becoming like the telephone... I really doubt that! Even nowadays, only about 30% of households have internet access. I was surprised by this number, I thought it would be around 80-90%. Plus whenever something is in demand and popular, everybody thinks it will be around forever, and dont see how we could have lived without it. But just look back at all the things we once thought this way about and now are gone! When I was growing up, we never had the internet or cell phones,and we got by just fine! It will the same for todays kids when they grow up, they will be looking back to when they used the internet and laughing, it will be the same with cell phones, no technology(well except for the telephone) has ever lasted generation after generation. But we will have some mobile way to get ahold of each other though, but who knows what it will be? but we can be sure it will be NOTHING like what we are using now.

We just started, we don't have a lot of lawns, we are trying to get more lawns....we wanted to get into this business b/c we are teachers and coaches and wanted to make more money.......and we enjoy mowing......any other questions that I need to explain?

I know the website needs more work. I stated that in a previous post. I will take into account all of the things that have been said (even though I think there was a better way of saying them )

Tough Crowd
2004 Chevy Silverado 4X4
Grasshopper 220-48" w/ 8 cu ft Powervac

2 Snapper 21" Commercial Mowers
16 ft Trailer
Redmax HE 225F Edger
Redmax TR2301S Trimmer
2008 RedMax EBZ7001-RH Backpack Blower
Shindaiwa Trimmer
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
For what possible reasons would the cell phone and internet go away? The percent of people who use them keeps going up, not down.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Doubleedhge, Yes, they are very popular right now, and you are right, more and more people are using these things. But when something is popular(like the internet and cell phones right now), it is very hard to see how they may one day be history. For instance, when word processors came out, everyone loved them and they grew very popular for a long time, and at that time, if someone wouldve said, these word processors will be a thing of the past one day and any person still using one would be laughed at! And that is true, if you saw someone in your office using a word processor today to write a letter, they would get some strange looks. If you do not believe me, just go back and look at all the past technological devices that are no longer used and/or out-dated that at one time were considered very popular and Im sure people then thought they would be around forever, but they didnt make it. Why would you think todays technology would be any different? Do you actually think a 10 year old that is using the internet to write a school paper today, will be using the internet when he is in his 30s or 40s?? NO FREAKIN WAY! The internet will be laughed at then, and looked at as a dinosaur. But people will still have ways to connect with each other, but we do not yet know what the devices will be. Look at the old 90s cell phones, they are pretty funny..right? Well, todays modern blackberry/touch screen phones will be looked at the same way in about 10-15 years.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Doubleedhge, Yes, they are very popular right now, and you are right, more and more people are using these things. But when something is popular(like the internet and cell phones right now), it is very hard to see how they may one day be history. For instance, when word processors came out, everyone loved them and they grew very popular for a long time, and at that time, if someone wouldve said, these word processors will be a thing of the past one day and any person still using one would be laughed at! And that is true, if you saw someone in your office using a word processor today to write a letter, they would get some strange looks. If you do not believe me, just go back and look at all the past technological devices that are no longer used and/or out-dated that at one time were considered very popular and Im sure people then thought they would be around forever, but they didnt make it. Why would you think todays technology would be any different? Do you actually think a 10 year old that is using the internet to write a school paper today, will be using the internet when he is in his 30s or 40s?? NO FREAKIN WAY! The internet will be laughed at then, and looked at as a dinosaur. But people will still have ways to connect with each other, but we do not yet know what the devices will be. Look at the old 90s cell phones, they are pretty funny..right? Well, todays modern blackberry/touch screen phones will be looked at the same way in about 10-15 years.
The old cell phones could be improved. Todays phones are so advanced their isn't a lot of improving u can do, save add graphics etc. Todays phones can be as small as u want them. Cell phones aren't going anywhere soon. It will be like the old telephone. It will be constantly tweaked, but the fundamentals isn't going anywhere.

Also that statistic about 30 percent have internet. I'd like to see that broken by age group.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Midwest Falcon - Don't worry about what an 18 yr. old (LouisinaLawnboy) has to say about your business. What you are doing with your website is very good. Too many times people try to make their websites filled with eye candy. Service sites are suppose to be informative. Too many times people try to make their website too flashy and the information is lost within all of the unnecessary flash people put into them. If a customer has visited your webpage for lawn mowing, they are there for a reason. They need contact info, and they would like to put a face and a name behind the service, to find someone that they trust. If I was you I would advertise that you are a teacher and a coach. If they trust you with their children, I have a feeling they will trust you with their lawn. What you said on your website is true. You can have over 15 years experience and still own a start up company. Experience and actually owning a company are two separate entities. You are doing nothing wrong at all! Great work!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It would have been better to say you have 15 years of experience rather than saying your company was started in 2009, it just sounds better
I'm sorry and I mean no offense but I disagree for the reason that "15 years experience" sounds misleading...
I get that crap all the time from other business owners (Oh we've been doing this for 20+ years!!!)
Sure that may not have been meant exactly the way I'm taking it, but that's what I meant about it being misleading
because when I hear that, my mind says they've been in business at least that long.

You gotta figure the odds, what is it, 90% don't make it past 5?
By the time we get to 8-10 years we're talking somewhere between 95 to 98 percent of all business start ups are no longer around...
Somewhere in the 15-20 year time frame the odds turn down to a slim 99 percent.
And these guys expect me to believe they just so happen to be that 1 or 2 out of a 100?

Yeah right, and penguins fly.

Which it wouldn't be so bad but the number of folks who claim these years of experience just don't match the statistics, not even close.
Granted the other claim isn't as great sounding but it's the truth, few will argue about that, very few will not believe it.

Last edited by topsites; 12-19-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
do websites actually help bring in customers?
In general, yes. YOUR questions should read, "Will the Website I build for my company help me to attract more prospects and convert them into sales?" The answer is, "That depend". Factors to assist in this include your marketing goals (are you relying on people to find you via search engines or directing people to your site via brochures and business cards), site design (crap in, crap out), body copy (are you getting your message across quickly and effectively), stickiness (are people staying on your site to learn more, do more and enjoy more, and will they come back), usefulness (does your site empower visitors with knowledge to help them make an informed decision), conversion-friendly (do you offer online forms, surveys, or anything that collects consumer information or metrics to help you convert them), etc.

A true professional Website is for people who want to get serious about marketing and brand-building. The days of dabbling with a Website for the sake of having one is over.

Quote:
If you have a website how many customers do you get from it year?
Once again, that depends on how you choose to get people to the site and what you do with them (or expect them to do) when they get there. If there are no provisions, language, applications, or features built into your Website to convert prospects to buyers, then you simply cannot expect your site to perform such a function. Period.

Quote:
What is the best way of Advertising flyer's, door hangers, lettering on a truck, or any other way?
Advertising is a hit-and-miss proposition founded on brand-building principles. You "advertise" to let people know you exist. Advertising, in and of itself, is NOT "selling" or "closing". For the most part, "advertising" put the decision to contact you in the consumers' hands. If you rely on advertising alone to generate all of your sales, they you need to canvas your service area with every possible form of media including door hangers, fliers, radio ads, midnight cable ads, brochures at coffee shops, etc. It's a numbers game.

The alternative is to invest two hours per evening between 5:30PM to 7:30PM knocking on residential doors, or contact every commercial real estate agent (or property management company) in your area who is trying to sell a strip mall or office complex and make an offer.

-Robert-

-