Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
How do you figure that? Some of us 12 month guy's actualy work 12 months. I refuse to discuse any price for a property with anyone else. Mainly because you get asked what your being payed and you say 200, then there friend is doing it next week for 175.

Also, you wont pick up any comercial work here without a 12 month contract. So how do we make it easy for you?
I normally never discused prices with anyone , but this time situation was different this was cheapest bid I have ever gave and I guess I tryed to brag how cheap I can do an account, it backfired and gave me lesson, never get to friendly or to comfortable there is always collateral damage. Whole reason I picked up this account because I though it was in such high profile location I was gonna pick up tons of buisiness. I got my own black book so called, where I write down my own lessons I learn and trust me I added at least 10 more tips of what not to do or do different. Some guys don't undersdand when we do 12 month accounts it is not of desperation , to them their numbers in few accounts, but when you add 150-200 accounts on monthly payment they don't realize we do that for numbers and a solid flow of work that I call filler. 200 accounts at minimum 200 a month do the math. I try to avoid them but once again you can't always have steak so I eat mashpotatoes too, because after only 8 oz of meat you will be still hungry.My main goal to use whatever I can to get every customer I want not every that called , but every I need. If I go thrugh a subdivision I d rather use every tool in arsinal to get 20 customers in row then be stuck up and spend 2 hours a day travelling around town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as your making money, do what you got to. If your making 20 bucks off a place and then drive 10 min to your next 20 you made 10 bucks. If you can stack 15 houses that your only making 15 but no travel, you make a living.

I still dont see how a contract makes it easy for another comp though.
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I enjoy 12 months right now as I am stillsmall enough that
I am able to spend quality time on their property, makes them extreamlhappy and gives me something to do in the off weeks. Has actually allowed me to take their properrties to anotrher level, which will continue to help word of mouth. Sorry about any mispelled word in this post, posting from blackberry while at universal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have learned 12 month contracts work well in subdivisions where trees are mature, customers that have mulch installed instead of rock and neighbours are hard to penetrate. I have had people stop by and say my customer must be rich to have me at their property almost 52 weeks a year. Times like that are great for punchline and marketing, I let them know that it is not that expensive. Biggest challenge is educating homeowners and telling them how many services they are missing out on. You can't sell full meal deal to everybody, but the ones that like prestige and perfection this is it. I have found valuable info how to modify my 12 month contract to avoid getting hurt. asking downpayment when contract is signed is a big help. If client is behind I would not hesitate to stop services. When you are always 30 days behind it is a different story. I have learned sertain types of people cause more trouble and sertain are happy no matter what . I set down and separated easy clients from different. I will tell you working for Bisiness owners is a different ballgame compared to salaried clients. In my opinion being more carefull with so called untamed clientelle ,showed true collors of everyone in contract. I just hate dealing with keep up with the jones type, kind that lives larger then can afford, everything to them is a hagle and they trully think of themselves as a special breed. For example (car dealers or anyone working for dealership in management. )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have learned 12 month contracts work well in subdivisions where trees are mature, customers that have mulch installed instead of rock and neighbours are hard to penetrate. I have had people stop by and say my customer must be rich to have me at their property almost 52 weeks a year. Times like that are great for punchline and marketing, I let them know that it is not that expensive. Biggest challenge is educating homeowners and telling them how many services they are missing out on. You can't sell full meal deal to everybody, but the ones that like prestige and perfection this is it. I have found valuable info how to modify my 12 month contract to avoid getting hurt. asking downpayment when contract is signed is a big help. If client is behind I would not hesitate to stop services. When you are always 30 days behind it is a different story. I have learned sertain types of people cause more trouble and sertain are happy no matter what . I set down and separated easy clients from different. I will tell you working for Bisiness owners is a different ballgame compared to salaried clients. In my opinion being more carefull with so called untamed clientelle ,showed true collors of everyone in contract. I just hate dealing with keep up with the jones type, kind that lives larger then can afford, everything to them is a hagle and they trully think of themselves as a special breed. For example (car dealers or anyone working for dealership in management. )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect touch landscapes View Post
You don't have a problem with their bossy fit? If payment is small and they don't pay ,smart ones know I don't want to waste time with collections or lien. What do you do incase no complience? I just had dealership contract, brought everything to be like it should be. When I got account I thought I dealt with owner. He wanted me to do his personal account also. When I invoiced first payment with two different monthly fees( home and buisiness) he calledme and told me to include personal with home in one payment and not to disclose on invoce that home is included. I felt something was fishy. He was pain in the ass customer. His plaza had 5 other buisinesses in it. I found out that all 5 buisinesses were paying him 400.00 a month for landscape maintenance. One day one of owner came up to me and asked me to bid his home after we talked a little he realized that I was servising also home account of the owner and I only billed him 550.00 a month. He told me that this plaza was owned by 5 owners and they all pay association money every month. Then he figured out that client that I signed contract with was including his home and 5 owners were all paying for it. He got pissed off. anyways he contacted client I signed contract with that I thought was the only owner and tryed to ask him how come he is making all coowners pay for his personal ****.I got a call got botched at that I as pissing off tenants.customer I had agreement with told all co-owners that I did his home for free(250.00) a month. I was in the middle one guy was pissed off that 1 owner got home maintained on the house other was pissed off they he was caught stealing. Client got pissed off that I talked and fired me. Well I didn't realize this was going on. I got contract it is not as detailed as I want it to be. I don't have a clause for collecting one month or

holy shet. proof read it before you post please.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I have been using 12 month contracts on residential and commercial, on commercial it works like acharm but 25-40% of residential customers abuse contract and terms. They are extremely happy when I get contract, then they call and call asking when I will do mulch cleanup, mow, weed, fert, I do explain that I can't provide all services at once because payment is set, yet accounts are in bad shape. I started collecting one month upon acceptance and every month after that, no matter how I explain, when tornados hit, floods, storms, molles,fungus,bagworms, sabotage ,watering flowers every morning and all kinds of other nonesence that is not forseen I don't cover that as part of contract. I need some help with verbage, creativity, and being carefully of not getting hurt, by someone canselling contract in October ( when I start collecting mostly profit,yet they try to get rid of you because they see you as liability and forgot how much work I have done in the beggining.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you need to provide a timeline of services to your customers, so they know when to expect certain services.

I've mentioned this in other threads...I don't offer 12 month contracts to new customers...only returning customers, and the contract payment dates are the last day of the month, Jan-Dec. So they've already made 2-3 payments to me before I've done any work. If you run them April-March, you're inviting trouble.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't pick up all customers in months that I want, they come year round, but you are right I got to specify dates of services.
Got any suggestions how to best word it
thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't pick up all customers in months that I want, they come year round, but you are right I got to specify dates of services.
Got any suggestions how to best word it
thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
For a first, use proper grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgshopboss View Post
Definitely the best horse I have ever hitched my wagon to.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnabelLawnCare View Post
For a first, use proper grammar.
Ok dad, thanks for taking your time and reminding me.what could I do with out you?
Posted via Mobile Device