Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect touch landscapes View Post
I have been using 12 month contracts on residential and commercial, on commercial it works like acharm but 25-40% of residential customers abuse contract and terms. They are extremely happy when I get contract, then they call and call asking when I will do mulch cleanup, mow, weed, fert, I do explain that I can't provide all services at once because payment is set, yet accounts are in bad shape. I started collecting one month upon acceptance and every month after that, no matter how I explain, when tornados hit, floods, storms, molles,fungus,bagworms, sabotage ,watering flowers every morning and all kinds of other nonesence that is not forseen I don't cover that as part of contract. I need some help with verbage, creativity, and being carefully of not getting hurt, by someone canselling contract in October ( when I start collecting mostly profit,yet they try to get rid of you because they see you as liability and forgot how much work I have done in the beggining.
Posted via Mobile Device
My terms specify how many weeks of lawncare, How many mulch jobs and times(spring and fall). Materials are extra ALWAYS!! this will keep you from really getting screwed upon early cancellation.

Also, MOST importantly if there place needs ALOT of work to bring it up to your standards. Do an initial clean-up or mulch job or anything else they want done outside the maintnance contract.
Keep in mind that maintnance contracts are just that. To keep them looking nice.They are not to renovate!
If it's not in the contract in black and white It is extra$$$
My contracts can be terminated by either party for any reason with 2 wks notice. No fees for early termination (I don't depend on my business for income only part time)
Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well put
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Seriously, the initial clean-up is the way to go. some customers will argue up and down to begin with but hey, once you explain the severe overgrowth conditions of shrubs, weeds, vines or whatever and the initial bed edging that needs done and how nice their yard will look afterward, they will fork over the cash for it. These conditions are not your fault so why would you work your butt off to bring there yard up to an acceptable condition for no extra money? This way if in October,if they want to cancel on you, you will lose less!
This works very, very well for me. My customers really appreciate me being so upfront with them. Outline what you think needs to be done(tell them) then ask if there is anything they want to add(very important question more cash).

Listen very carefully because they will tell you exactly how to close the deal if you listen, listen, listen...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am love to make a yard look like it didn't look on the day of instalation, my avarage clean up consists of 1-2 20 ft trailers. Like you said why should I do that for a whopping monthly fee, where normally I get 1500-2000 for clean ups like that. Yet they argue till last minute that yard is not in such a bad shape. I find garbage under shrubs from 5 years ago
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I can maintain it how it looks or we can clean it up and maint how it should look
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One problem I run in to, I always, maybe most of the time do work as I would of done it for myself, I hate doing work half ass, because my reputation is known for high quality, I will register onother name this year and let that crew do work like everybody else does.
Ok let's be honest 50-75% of clients want upkeep not maintenance.
In my opinion there is a difference.
Trimming boxwoods 3x a year and trimming them once in 3 years.
To allot of people they don't see the difference between.
Like in fall they tell you to stop mowing, but grass needs onother 3 cuts.
It's like when we go to do maintenance on our cars, shop upsells on filters, filling liquids, yet we just get oil done and hold off rest till it is out.
It is amazing how people spend thousands of dollars a year on grass.
If you go back 100 ago or even during current time in all other countrys, landscaping is not given that much thought. We lco's are used to doing this every day, and we can see 1 inch of growth on shrubbery, but client can't tell the difference. Unless overall shape looks about the same, they don't care about simetry, health, and proper growth control.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It amazes me seeing $ 10.000.000 castles, in movies with out a single shrub, or grass is wild and fated. Then you see 10000 sqft property with 50 trees and 1000 perenials and shrubs.
Some people buy home with nothing installed for that reason and others get caught up with beauty of property as it was just serviced, whith out realization it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to maintain.
So they buy, and after getting few bids , they neglect and neglect until one day you see for sale sign.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just charge more per visit for crap props. I'll give a price for monthly service on every thing and then one for the week to week which most crap props want here. The fact is the price you'll pay me to go year round is bout the same as you not wanting any work done all year. Try to force them to a nicer package I quess.
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

i would love to talk to someone about specifics on their 12 month contracts. i want to do this, but not sure what to offer and how to price it to make it seem like a good deal. email me at RObert@carefreelawncare.com if you wanna tudor a 3rd year solo operator. i certainly have a lot still to learn and always enjoy hearing how other people do the jobs.