Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wholesale Christmas trees Western NY

What should I expect to pay for say an order of 250 trees. Average, I assume each tree species is slightly different. We have an extra 5 acres here we don't do anything with & looking at possibly growing trees, we would need to bring in trees to start to establish a cus base, possibly suplement what we can't grow in the future.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting out

I dont sell wholesale, I have a cut your own farm near Leroy, New York. If you are looking for bare root seedlings to start out with I would recommend Western Maine Nurseries...just google their name.

Hopefully you are aware of the work cycle and time required to grow Christmas trees. I have found it worth while but alot of people just think it is plant and wait. Spraying, mowing, herbicide and shearing are all yearly requirements for each and every tree.

Write back if you are serious
Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffordnurseries View Post
I dont sell wholesale, I have a cut your own farm near Leroy, New York. If you are looking for bare root seedlings to start out with I would recommend Western Maine Nurseries...just google their name.

Hopefully you are aware of the work cycle and time required to grow Christmas trees. I have found it worth while but alot of people just think it is plant and wait. Spraying, mowing, herbicide and shearing are all yearly requirements for each and every tree.

Write back if you are serious
I checked out the site and I found the prices to be a tad high. I guess it wouldnt matter if the person only planted a hundred or two per season. Doing a thousand or more would make every penny per transplant count.

And you are very right about growing trees. Unless you have a deep passion to grow them.........dont.

I know the wholesale price of a 6-7 foot Douglas Fir here is roughly, and I mean roughly $20.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A friend of mine got a few thousand "improved pines' from the forestry service for not too much green. he planted them on 8 foot centers on row and 12 feet beteen trees or rows. he and his family worked very hard at it the first few years, fertilizing, watering, shearing. then they quit. it really is a lot of work for not much money.

good luck.