Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2002, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Overworked my eXmark,should I freak out?

I have always taken very good care of my 48" eXmark variable speed belt drive. I got a little too proud of it's power the other day and put a hurtin on it. I mowed a lot with 3 ft tall grass ( no exageration ) and the machine bogged a lot but did a great job as always. Well, I gave it the usuall once over last night and notices that I burned up all the gear oil in tranny, all the oil in the crank case, and more grease than normal. All this after only an hour of mowing. Everything seem to be OK but I could use a little advise.

1. Should I freak out? What should I look for or listen for as far as potential problems that may arise when I begin using it again.

2. The specs say to use SAE 30 oil in this Kaw 14 but this stuff seems awfully thin. Will using SAE 40 be a stupid thing to do or might it keep the engine running cooler?

Thanks in advance for the help. I enjoy lurking thru this forum and absorbing from you guys.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't wory about something that hasen't happened. Change out the grease and oil and run it normal. Don't forget to dechaff the engine by taking off the blower covers. You can run 100% synthetic oil in your engine now that's it's broke in.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, bro.

I needed some reassurance. It is my baby.

I'm all about the synthetic oil, too. I should have told you that this is a ten year old machine. Can you help me on the SAE 30 vs. SAE 40 part of the question?

Also, what is this with the dechaffing? I havn't heard this term before.

Thanks again, Landscraper.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally haven't had a problem with running 10-30 synthetic oil in motors rated at a strait 30 wt. Dechaffing is when you take all or most of the sheet metal ie. blower housings off of the engine and blow everything clean with compressed air.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, dude! Ran it last night with no troubles.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

SYNTHETIC OIL

I AM A TRUE BELIEVER OF SYNTHETIC OIL.I RUN 10-30 SYNTHETIC AND I DON'T KNOW WHY ANY ONE WHO CUTS ALL DAY WOULD USE CONVENTIONAL OIL.BELIEVE THOSE PREVIOUS REPLIES ON SYNTHETIC THOSE GUYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes on the Synthetic and Amsoil does make a streight 30 weight if you don't trust dirty 10-30. Now I know I'll sound like a snake oil salesman but a buddy of mine manages tug boat diesel engines in New York Harbor. These engines cost $750,000 to rebuild and are similar to the ones used to pull trains. He watches hobbs meters, and checkes for particulate matter in the oil, and when a motor goes he manages the overhaul and takes notes. To make a long story short, he uses Tuff Oil. He hates all other additives and in many cases he says they do harm. but from his records, he is almost doubling the life of his engines. Believe me, he keeps records and does not make statements from word of mouth. At $750,000 per engine, when something happens his boss wants answers.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the extra input, guys!

I was listening to Pat Goss ( of Motor Week fame ) on the G. Gordon Liddy show the other day. He said that "breaking in" an engine with normal oil before using synthetic is a myth. He stated, " What is in nonsythetic oil that makes it better for the first several hours of operation as opposed to synthetic? Nothing."

KHOUSE,

I find your posts to be among the experts and value your opinions. Was wondering what you, or anyone else, thinks on this issue. Or has this topic been discussed and beaten to death already?

Thanks again, Landscraper.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not whats in normal oil but what it does not have.Synthetic is a better quality lubricant and is "slippery" than regular and doesn't allow the engine to break in as good.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a pretty general statement. Define "break in" so one can undertand this theory. If synthetic is a better lubricant, why isn't better for breaking in? Like I said, someone just tell me if this is a dead horse and why.

BTW- grew up in upsate NY myself....beautiful but cold.