Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
mark140389 mark140389 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2
Payroll Taxes and withholdings????

In our industy what is legal as far as payroll is concerned?? Can we 1099 crew members or do we have to withhold taxes and provide W2's??:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,398
Pay the taxes. Get yoursef a payroll company for a small fee and you can sleep better.
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
old oak lawn's Avatar
old oak lawn old oak lawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: carrsville va
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark140389 View Post
In our industy what is legal as far as payroll is concerned?? Can we 1099 crew members or do we have to withhold taxes and provide W2's??:
1099 Crew members= No Withhold taxes and provide W2's= yes. You should be withholding tax from day one. -Fed tax- state tax- medicare and FICA. Medicare and FICA you have to match your employees payment. Our industry in no different then any other, this is a business and tax is a part of any business. You need to find a accountant to help you through this because the IRS does not play around, they want their $$ and NOW.
__________________
OLD OAK LAWN & LANDSCAPE LLC.
91 F350 DRW 460 GAS EZ-DUMP
90 CHEVY 1500 2wd - BOBCAT 753 SKID LOADER
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by old oak lawn View Post
1099 Crew members= No Withhold taxes and provide W2's= yes. You should be withholding tax from day one. -Fed tax- state tax- medicare and FICA. Medicare and FICA you have to match your employees payment. Our industry in no different then any other, this is a business and tax is a part of any business. You need to find a accountant to help you through this because the IRS does not play around, they want their $$ and NOW.
I've always heard that you can only 1099 sub-contractors or employees that are part time.

If you 1099 them, they must carry their own liability insurance as a sub, as you are not covering them.

I was handed a 1099 one year after working for an LCO. Needless to say, after doing the research, the IRS could of had a field day with them.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
old oak lawn's Avatar
old oak lawn old oak lawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: carrsville va
Posts: 716
Part time and full time are the same, they are both your employees and you have to withhold tax. I would not play any 1099 games with the IRS. You cant clam a - subcontractor just because you want to, there are rules.
__________________
OLD OAK LAWN & LANDSCAPE LLC.
91 F350 DRW 460 GAS EZ-DUMP
90 CHEVY 1500 2wd - BOBCAT 753 SKID LOADER
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by old oak lawn View Post
Part time and full time are the same, they are both your employees and you have to withhold tax. I would not play any 1099 games with the IRS. You cant clam a - subcontractor just because you want to, there are rules.
I see, I thought you were saying to give them a 1099.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
PROCUT1's Avatar
PROCUT1 PROCUT1 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 4,839
1099 is for a business

W-2 is for an employee

There is no grey area. it is what it is.
__________________
Trying to figure out how to get rich and not leave my bed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Surecut Lawncare LLC's Avatar
Surecut Lawncare LLC Surecut Lawncare LLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE,MI
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
1099 is for a business

W-2 is for an employee

There is no grey area. it is what it is.
Not entirely true. You can work for a business and still get a 1099.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
ADVANCEDOHIO ADVANCEDOHIO is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NORTHEAST OHIO
Posts: 92
1099's are given to a person or business that you have "do work" for you. Not people that " work for you". You would have to provide an invoice copy from that person or business if you get audited. Any person or business that you pay over $600 is required to get a 1099. It was put to me like this at a business seminar - If it looks like an employee, walks like an employee, smells like an employee.... Its an employee!!! There was no "gray area" according to them.

I hope this helps and maybe dif states have dif rules within the state itself, but I think the IRS sees it just like this. I hope this helps... GOOD LUCK.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 PM
kemco's Avatar
kemco kemco is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANCEDOHIO View Post
1099's are given to a person or business that you have "do work" for you. Not people that " work for you". You would have to provide an invoice copy from that person or business if you get audited. Any person or business that you pay over $600 is required to get a 1099. It was put to me like this at a business seminar - If it looks like an employee, walks like an employee, smells like an employee.... Its an employee!!! There was no "gray area" according to them.

I hope this helps and maybe dif states have dif rules within the state itself, but I think the IRS sees it just like this. I hope this helps... GOOD LUCK.
Well put. There are very certain "rules" that spell out whether or not a person is a 1099 contractor. I remember a few requirements for 1099 "employees" include the "employee" doing all their own advertising and securing their own jobs/contracts, and essentially paying all of their own expenses of doing business. Highly unlikely that the workers refered to in the OP do this. Therefore they are not 1099. The burden of proof would be on the business owner, not the employee, to prove to the IRS that they did the above in order to qualify for 1099 status.
__________________
www.KemcoLawnServices.com
www.GotLeaves.com
2008 F-350 Super Duty Dually gas guzzler
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.10424 seconds with 9 queries