Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

According to Indiana state chemist in order for you to bill fertilization you stil must carry proper certification. Basically you must carry a 3b even if your not doing the work! Anyone doing sub work for someone needs to be aware of this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe if you designate your service in some way as "subcontracted", you can bill fertilization w/out licensing. As long as your customers know you are not performing the service you are ok. (basically if you ever got a complaint from a competitor and the state decided to check on a customer and ask them, "are you aware your LCO is not a licensed applicator...etc.") as long as they answer "yes", then you're alright.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your incorrect! I have been down this road so beleive me I know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
According to Indiana state chemist in order for you to bill fertilization you stil must carry proper certification. Basically you must carry a 3b even if your not doing the work! Anyone doing sub work for someone needs to be aware of this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nor can someone who does not even apply fert for a living go and do it at say for their church for free and out of the kindness of their heart.....

I knew someone that did this and they got a talking to.......

Know the law's....... don't trust what John Doe tell's you.........
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Man Dave View Post
Nor can someone who does not even apply fert for a living go and do it at say for their church for free and out of the kindness of their heart.....

I knew someone that did this and they got a talking to.......

Know the law's....... don't trust what John Doe tell's you.........
This is getting crazy......
I have a copy of email from a guy at Purdue, and he told me himself that you can put fert down without a license, its weed control that requires a license. If I remember right, the license is for if you do it for hire right?

I know I should leave this post to you that do treatments, I do not, and I know you know more about it than I. I just know that I kept that copy for just saving it.
If I can find it, I will show you it...

sorry, I did not mean to jump in here where I don't belong.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He was applying fert, the church later had ato hire a guy to do it. The guy that got caught said he was doing it for free and he was told that it did not matter. He did not get fined or anything, just a verbal warning.

I have allways heard you need a liscence because of the chemical's involved...... some are not good for mother earth from what I hear if you use to much or the wrong combo or whatever. That and they want to keep track of people so they can keep an eye on their record's and how they are storing it......... some fert's can also go boom so they want to keep track of how much people have........ if you are buying it in alarming quantities people will want to know.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, this is what my business is. Second it is my job to know the law. I don't care what letter you have. Acording to the Indiana state chemist you must carry insurance and business cert and personal cert. You also must keep paper work regarding apps. If your not sure just check out the Indiana state chemists website. Any for hire is required. The question was subs needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not going to argue because it really isn't that important to me. I was told by an agent from the Indiana State Chemist office as recently as last fall that you cannot directly advertise or administer services for "weed control", pesticide, etc without a license. You can however advertise or apply fertilizer without a license. If you choose to subcontract application services you can do so as long as you notify your customers this service is being subcontracted, either in a form of a written letter or as simple as putting it next to the service on every invoice.

http://www.isco.purdue.edu/pesticide/3b.html

Again, I'm not sure what your "job" is be it enforcing this rule or applying product, but this was from an agent at the office in regards to this exact subject. I have an email somewhere.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
First of all, this is what my business is. Second it is my job to know the law. I don't care what letter you have. Acording to the Indiana state chemist you must carry insurance and business cert and personal cert. You also must keep paper work regarding apps. If your not sure just check out the Indiana state chemists website. Any for hire is required. The question was subs needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rabbi..........

Don't get so uptight over it...... We're glad you are doing everything right and we're glad you know the law. We were just stating what we were told too and like the other guy on here said, we have an email to back it up. Our info came from the same place you got yours...........Even though I have a letter from Purdue telling me I can apply fert, I do not. I sub that stuff out. Who knows, I may call on you some day to sub to....Calm down man...
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
How or where can u get certified to apply Lawn Apps?

Thanks