Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is all I have to show for today's effort, one 16" Trout.

Went to the same place as last Sat., but the fish did not show up.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
This is all I have to show for today's effort, one 16" Trout.

Went to the same place as last Sat., but the fish did not show up.
well its friday and I started in the freshwater. The everglades took a big hit from the extra cold weather and had a big fish kill so there isnt much going on in the backwaters. After 2 days i gave up on inland waters. The third day i launched the boat in everglades city and worked the 100000 islands looking for what ever swims. It was a slow start as this was new to me. I found cruising fish in the shallows and saw some tailing. I threw everything at them except the kitchen sink. Nothing. Lets just say extreme discouragment was setting in. So i regrouped. Bought live shrimp and started working popping corks and bottom fishing as well. Finally! I finished the third day with 6 trout, 2 black drum, a snook and a fer white fish. I kept the 1 black drum 2 white fish and 1 trout to try for dinner. Wow were they good eating! Unfortunatly its been raining for the last couple days but it also gave to a chance to hit all the local bait shops for some tips. Boy did i get some good tips. One guide even gave me GPS coordinates for 2 reefs and a wreck to try. He also gave me coordinates for a large grass bed that he said i will be able to boat 100+ trout on. Hitting that tomarrow. I will load up some pics soon.

On the way in on that third day i stopped in the middle of a channel and dropped a live shrimp right down. I immedietly got a big hit. I set the hook a fought a large black drum up to the boat but was not able to land him. The hook came out. He was at least 20lbs. In that same spot i also caught 2 nassau grouper. Looking forward to Sat morning now that i have things figured out.

The fish are not in the shallows yet because the water temps are cold from the harsh winter. Oh well, i will take them any way i can get them. More updates coming soon.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Punt you eating the drums? Thought those were kinda trashfish but I may be completely wrong....?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
Punt you eating the drums? Thought those were kinda trashfish but I may be completely wrong....?
The large Black Drum are no good to eat, they have worms, but the smaller ones are good.

Not sure about everywhere else but down here they are called "big uglies". I guess because they are big and well, ugly.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
well its friday and I started in the freshwater. The everglades took a big hit from the extra cold weather and had a big fish kill so there isnt much going on in the backwaters. After 2 days i gave up on inland waters. The third day i launched the boat in everglades city and worked the 100000 islands looking for what ever swims. It was a slow start as this was new to me. I found cruising fish in the shallows and saw some tailing. I threw everything at them except the kitchen sink. Nothing. Lets just say extreme discouragment was setting in. So i regrouped. Bought live shrimp and started working popping corks and bottom fishing as well. Finally! I finished the third day with 6 trout, 2 black drum, a snook and a fer white fish. I kept the 1 black drum 2 white fish and 1 trout to try for dinner. Wow were they good eating! Unfortunatly its been raining for the last couple days but it also gave to a chance to hit all the local bait shops for some tips. Boy did i get some good tips. One guide even gave me GPS coordinates for 2 reefs and a wreck to try. He also gave me coordinates for a large grass bed that he said i will be able to boat 100+ trout on. Hitting that tomarrow. I will load up some pics soon.

On the way in on that third day i stopped in the middle of a channel and dropped a live shrimp right down. I immedietly got a big hit. I set the hook a fought a large black drum up to the boat but was not able to land him. The hook came out. He was at least 20lbs. In that same spot i also caught 2 nassau grouper. Looking forward to Sat morning now that i have things figured out.

The fish are not in the shallows yet because the water temps are cold from the harsh winter. Oh well, i will take them any way i can get them. More updates coming soon.
Can't wait to see the pics. Glad you found some fish.

I think my next trip is going to be freshwater, I want to catch some large mouth bass while they are spawning.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Went to a bayou close to the house late today.

Caught 3 Bass, largest one was a whopping 11".

Ok, I'm ready to go back to the salt.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post

Where are the pics?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Where are the pics?

Ditto That!!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Where are the pics?
well i just got home last night after 2 days of driving. To ad to the list, snook, snapper, black tip shark, and a boat load of cats fishing the channels. I didnt keep any fish after that first time. I spent the whole day today in the hospital dealing with a flare up of a medical condition but am a ok. Just have a few more holes in me! Its 75 sat and sunday and the ice is gone! So i am fishing this weekend! I will load up some pics soon. I am sitting here in a bit of pain and a bit tired so maybe sat night i will load them up. The Boat ran like a CHAMPION she is and i did get pulled over and boarded . Florida does a bad job marking no wake zones! hahah

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Punt did ya get your reg form for the lake champlain international?