Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

New guy in Kentucky with state tax questions.

I'm pretty new with doing all the legal things myself. I'm getting ready to start up alone this coming seasion. Was wondering if anyone could let me know what kind of taxes I should be prepared to pay for and what kind of things should I keep in mind that I can use as a tax write off as a sole proprietor. Any help is much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2015, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not a CPA, which is who you would seek for this advice, but as far as charging for the service of mowing, there are no taxes to collect, so taxes you will pay are income taxes (self employment taxes), if you are selling goods though, you will have to collect sales taxes. I have an LLC so I also pay a fee for the LLC every year. You may have to pay local taxes as well, where I am we do not ever go over the minimum which is $50. As far as "write-offs" you can write off pretty much any expense you have with the business. Just keep really good records and let an accountant do your taxes. Not sure if we can suggest services on this site, but I use www.waveapps.com for my accounting software because it is free and has an iphone app to take photo's of receipts to keep up with them. Hope that helps.