Register free!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Castle,
just read a few thousand posts right here--and then--you will get a feel for who is in outer space and the majority who give good advice--if everybody agrees, it is probably good advice. Be sure to pay particular attention to those with a similar climate and grass type. Remember you cannot apply crabgrass or weed control--liquid or granular--on any property except your own--unless you have a pesticide license.
Perhaps it's difficult, without writing a book, to convey a proper perspective on how I view professionalism in this industry
My intent was also to indirectly prevent damage to the poor customer he's gonna try that on -you know he will.
A secondary thing to share with you is that another of my posts for this thread, I placed just enough information, maybe, for the guy to get scared off - as it could be too complex for him to apply himself to learn about the chemicals, or cool season/warm season grasses, Fertilizer app. rates, (Site Water Budgeting or Audits, etc., as any good lawn needs proper irrigation).
the main point is
That I do care about is the on-going damage to what were previously nice lawns by unlicensed and uneducated people who act like they are providing a service. Their behavior hurts all of us in business. Bottom line is just like this guy that wrote in here, they are creating watered weed patches because they don't know what they are doing either with fertilizer or their lack of knowledge. And, I hold the unsuspecting and/or uneducated customer also responsible for propagating guys like that -all to save a buck.
We need to increase the public's perception of us as professionals -and the price for the cost of our service will go up.

Last edited by castle555; 01-01-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to thanks everybody for the input that they had. I was thinking about ways to generate more business didnt really put alot of research into I came here first my mistake. But thanks again for all the help
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirthOutdoorServices View Post
I want to thanks everybody for the input that they had. I was thinking about ways to generate more business didnt really put alot of research into I came here first my mistake. But thanks again for all the help
Garrett, Stick with this thread. please. We're trying to help. You didn't say exactly but do we assume you do mowing and want to "generate more business" mowing? Or are you trying to add more services to your mowing business? Or do you already do more than mowing? Help us out with more info and maybe we can help better.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."

Last edited by starry night; 01-03-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WithOutdoors,

Adding fert and chem to your business would be very profitable...just make sure you know what you are doing before you start.

Things to think about adding that don't require a license are are also very profitable are seeding and/or aeration.

If I could seed only that is all I would do. Profitable, rewarding and fun to do!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle555 View Post
Perhaps it's difficult, without writing a book, to convey a proper perspective on how I view professionalism in this industry
My intent was also to indirectly prevent damage to the poor customer he's gonna try that on -you know he will.
A secondary thing to share with you is that another of my posts for this thread, I placed just enough information, maybe, for the guy to get scared off - as it could be too complex for him to apply himself to learn about the chemicals, or cool season/warm season grasses, Fertilizer app. rates, (Site Water Budgeting or Audits, etc., as any good lawn needs proper irrigation).
the main point is
That I do care about is the on-going damage to what were previously nice lawns by unlicensed and uneducated people who act like they are providing a service. Their behavior hurts all of us in business. Bottom line is just like this guy that wrote in here, they are creating watered weed patches because they don't know what they are doing either with fertilizer or their lack of knowledge. And, I hold the unsuspecting and/or uneducated customer also responsible for propagating guys like that -all to save a buck.
We need to increase the public's perception of us as professionals -and the price for the cost of our service will go up.
Right now the public view of LCOs is negative at a number of levels.

TGCL is considered to be one of the big polluters of all businesses. Agricultural and other industries seem more - water table, friendly - than those guys.
Blanket applications for everything , all the time, whether needed or not. Its all about the money.

The other thing is that Joe Blow private applicator, doesn't instill confidence in the HO, with sensible solutions for the 'Individual' needs of a given problem. Fungal diseases = spray fungicide. Thatch problems = aerate. Thin lawns, that are, growing CG = pre-m. Brown spots in summer = more fert and water. On the list goes...

We don't get solutions from the directions on the back of a pesticide label, we get solutions by applying knowledge of how grass grows best. IMHO.

That is how I view 'proffessionalism'.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That was well-said in a measured way, Smallaxe. However, I disagree about the public perception about those like TGCL. They are a big polluter because of the very fact that they have so much business! At least where I am, they dominate the market. Unfortunately, there is not yet a huge negative view of them. Concerning the smaller, private operator, it is too bad that they just follow in the footsteps of TGCL and others. The private guy generally doesn't take advantage of their own ability to do things differently. Their approach is more of the same: weeds = spray; disease = spray; not green enough= dump more nitrogen.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Both of you make valid points, and I am trying to use IPM (Integrated Pest Management) practices.
Once again I am not an expert and don't pretend to be.
I'll back up smallaxe's statement about Big Ag with this comparison.
It's the private property residential applicator in Los Angeles county that puts more runoff pesticide and fertilizer into their water table with OTC purchases of P & F than all of Agriculture in California combined! Think about it, the No. 1 crop in California is cotton, then rice produced on a world scale. That's scary.
BTW, Check out this page on TGLC
http://www.syix.com/emu/html/tg3.html
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It's the private property residential applicator in Los Angeles county that puts more runoff pesticide and fertilizer into their water table with OTC purchases of P & F than all of Agriculture in California combined!
References?

Quote:
Think about it, the No. 1 crop in California is cotton
Not looking to bust your balls here, but according to the latest USDA report, based on acreage the top three are orchards, forage, vegetables (in order). Total land dedicated to farming is ~ 25.4 million acres, total urban/built-up land (as of 1997) was ~4.8 million acres .
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Generalization

Kiril,
That's fine, no offense here, you've taken the trouble to do some verification. -I made a generalization about the cash value and should have followed up with "i.e. as an example" also meaning number 1 as in world production and US cash value, probably followed by rice, and ultimately and unfortunately superceded on the black market by cannabis . Also, California is probably in the top five of rice producers in the world.
The main point and inference was simply a general comparison to the number of people irresponsibly using pesticides versus agriculture as a whole in California.
I should have left out the statement as it caused confusion -it was writer's embellishment to make a point. And, the admission here does not particulary aplly to any of my other posts -I try to be accurate when it really counts.
Didn't mean for you to be checking facts in 667 page USDA document.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Around here many cities are built around rivers, and w/out coming up with statistics, it is easy to see what is contantly in the storm sewer drains and headed for the river. Salt in the winter and anything and everything else, during the rest of the year. Especially when one sees fert apps on frozen ground.
Agriculture has put a lot of nitrites in the water table in some areas, but the river pollution by Ag seems more under control now.