Register free!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda Grass

Hey everyone,

What is the best way to kill bermuda grass that is mixed in with fescue that im trying to grow?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Turflon Ester with Acclaim.

But it won't kill it, nothing on the market will kill Bermuda grass without also killing the fescue also. TE will surpress it and keep it minimized.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Turflon Ester with Acclaim.

But it won't kill it, nothing on the market will kill Bermuda grass without also killing the fescue also. TE will surpress it and keep it minimized.
Kirk

Not having Fescue here in Florida I might be speaking out of turn. But does Fusillade or ornamet selectively control Bermuda in Fescue???????

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Kirk

Not having Fescue here in Florida I might be speaking out of turn. But does Fusillade or ornamet selectively control Bermuda in Fescue???????
Yes Fusillade that is the other option, haven't used either myself as of yet but had began to notice it here last fall and since I was already doing some reseeding I pulled up what I noticed.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The UGA pest control manual recomends ornamec or sethoxydum in bermuda. Fusillade is not labeled for use in residential fescue, but can be used in ornamentals.
Joe
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinJasper View Post
The UGA pest control manual recomends ornamec or sethoxydum in bermuda. Fusillade is not labeled for use in residential fescue, but can be used in ornamentals.
Joe
The reason it says not for residental use is they want to cover their rear ends.
I use Fusilade II with Turflon Ester on my Emerald green zoysia to control bermuda and it worked really good last summer, will see how much bermuda comes back this summer.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Syngenta is worried about someone putting this through a Chemlawn gun or an uncalibrated hand sprayer. Fluzafop by itself is very harsh on zoysia in my experience and probably much worse on fescue in warm weather. Slight overages might well roast the lawn. All of my applications go through either a calibrated single fan nozzle or a boom.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great, thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to do this in the fall this year... i have managed ( WITH THE HELP OF THIS FORUM ) get the best looking fescue lawn on my block... and I'm not even done.... one more heavy overseeding in the fall and I should be able to fill in some bare areas that were missed.. the problem is I have fescue in backyard and both sides thats THICK & DEEP GREEN and Im still waiting for my BERMUDA FRONT LAWN to green up.... this yard has to go... I have a scheduled "round up" on Aug 6th already on the schedule with a professional lawn care company...... they assure me that they dont use "commercial" round up (41% Glyphosate) that the do-it-yourselfer can buy and they have a more concentrated form (is 41% the highest you guys have ever seen)

they say they can kill the bermuda for $75 bucks & they guarantee it and they even come out twice to complete the job if need be.... I wonder if the 41% Glyphosate i can buy myself from the store myself would work and cost me LESS than $75? the yard is not that big ( 25 ft x 25 ft )

THEN AFTER the yard is "killed" on Aug 6th.... then again on the 20th......then scalp, core aerate, and SEED THE HECK OUT OF IT SEPT 3RD... then again every 3-4 weeks throughout Sept/October (for a total of about 4 seedings of that area) .....

after the fescue takes hold then I need to worry about bermuda SUPPRESSION the following spring....
has anyone ever tried this stuff... its active ingrediant says its Fenoxaprop-p-ethyl 0.41%

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product...-to-spray.html
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm using the Bayer Advanced Bermuda Grass Control this season. It is working. The bermuda turned brown after first application. They recommend an application each month for seven months the first season you use it. I have applied it twice now and it is doing the job. The fescue is not being harmed.

At almost $19 a bottle, covers 5000 sq ft, it can be expensive but you do not have to kill everything to get rid of the bermuda and it is easily applied with a hose.

I will reseed in the fall and likely apply next spring also to keep under control.