Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman52 View Post
Have you thought about keeping what you have and rent a space in one of those storage facilitys?
Hey Folks, I am the partner in this operation. Here is the deal, A storage unit that we would get is approx 300 a month where we live... They make you sign a 6 month lease, which would be more like a year really.
300 + tax and fees X 12 months = $4,000...
New trailer out the door with brake controls = $5100...
Also, we can count in at least an hour for mob demob from the storage unit, let alone inconvenience and any other hassle that comes with it.

We wanted to buy another tailor this summer anyhow, this jump starts that process a little bit. After the $4K we spend on the storage unit in a year we will have no trailer and nothing to show for it except a tax right off at the end of the year for money wasted... am i wrong here?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The thing about the trailer is the storage. Do you have room at your house and does your neighborhood allow commercial equipment? I am with you on the trailer idea. I have tried to find every way to make it justifiable to buy one. I just don't have the work anymore for it.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 24' Pace Summit with a work bench up front. I carry 1-WB and 2-Z's a 60" and a 52" all trimmers and blowers mounted on the walls. Bagger stored under work bench. 6 gas cans stored under bench also. Various other equip. stored on bench. I pull it with a F250 4x4 crew cab V8. No issues.

I think the trailer you are looking to purchase is to small. Always go bigger than you need because you'll run out of space faster than you think. JMHO

What's nice about enclosed is less theft and gear is out of the weather. Go to lunch and lock it up no worries. Also when your season ends your equipment is already stored away, no need to jockey things around in the garage to put your gear up for the winter months.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I pull a 16 footer with a 1500 Chev with no problems. I have 2 full sized mowers and some other equipment I would never go smaller than 16'. It is nice getting to the job site and having all your equipment with you.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You can definitely fit two zturns but no bagger attachments. I always liked the idea of having a storage unit on wheels. Also, remember that it provides awesome advertising with the right lettering down the sides.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can build a shed for a lot less then 5k
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
You can build a shed for a lot less then 5k
That's it!

How I fixed one of my problems, $270 at the time:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3893_200333893

They make different sizes, that particular one I used to store one of my cars so it would be out of the weather,
insofar as zoning ordinances it's like they say "out of sight / out of mind," works great.

Granted I hear say the tarp has to be replaced every so many years
but the company that makes these sheds also sells the parts.

Last edited by topsites; 12-27-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like to get a 7x16 as well. I have the same issues with space. While I do have a shed, I can only get two wb mower inside. I use a large tarp and tie it down but have already got a tear in it from water collecting. I want to be able to park it and leave it no matter where I am. If I have to run into lowe's or home depot (or anywhere else for that matter) I spend 15 minutes locking everything down and then another 15 unlocking everything. Plus, I keep my fuel, tools, and grasscatchers in the bed. This keeps me from being able to carry mulch, etc in the bed. PITA!!

www.shelbylawnenforcement.com

My stuff: black truck pulling a trailer with lawn equipment in it

Stop Lowballing!! http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7898
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno know 16 ft seems short for two ZTR's, I got an open 16" footer I started with. It could barely fit my 52" Xmark & my 36" walk behind. My other gear went on the truck.

Draw the dimmensions of your proposed trailer in chalk & lay out your equipment as though. That'll give you an Idea.

Personally I'd go with a bigger trailer & truck. I've never heard anybody say "Gee I should have bought a smaller trailer".
Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I dunno know 16 ft seems short for two ZTR's, I got an open 16" footer I started with. It could barely fit my 52" Xmark & my 36" walk behind. My other gear went on the truck.
Are you sure you had a 16 foot trailer? I used to be able to get 2 60" Dixie Choppers on my 12 footer. I can easily get 2 36s and my Dixie on my 16 footer with room for extra stuff like my Little Wonder blower and push mower. Here's a pic of mine. There's a 36, a 21, a grass catcher and my Dixie. There is also about 2-1/2 of open space behind the Dixie if I want to carry even more stuff like my afore mentioned Little Wonder.