Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Are you sure you had a 16 foot trailer? I used to be able to get 2 60" Dixie Choppers on my 12 footer. I can easily get 2 36s and my Dixie on my 16 footer with room for extra stuff like my Little Wonder blower and push mower. Here's a pic of mine. There's a 36, a 21, a grass catcher and my Dixie. There is also about 2-1/2 of open space behind the Dixie if I want to carry even more stuff like my afore mentioned Little Wonder.

Will try & remember to take a pic... pretty sure it was 16ft. But it also has 5ft wire mesh enclosure around the sides.

BTW... what's with the wife's breast comment? Seems rude to comment on a man's wifes breast.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also.... nice rig.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
BTW... what's with the wife's breast comment? Seems rude to comment on a man's wifes breast.
You'll have to take that up with Topsites. He said it, not me.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Also.... nice rig.
Thanks. I keep it well maintained.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying an enclosed trailer for use as a way to transport and store your equipment is definetly a good idea. Keep im mind though the trailers are heavy when empty so this really does play into a factor with the truck that you are using to pull it. I have a 2006 dodge quadcab 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and a Haulin 7x16 enclosed trailer. I have no problems with the power to tow it and with the brake controller set right no problems stoping it, but when I load my trailer with my 727A John Deere ZTR, and hand equipment the ZTR has to be placed just right or there is either to much weight on the truck on not enough. I would say as long as you are hauling one ZTR you will be fine but anymore than that and you will need at least a 1 ton pickup.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your comments and advice.....looks like we're probably gonna make arrangements on one of these (a haulmark 7x16') sometime this week, if things work out. We're currently running one truck, the 1500....our next truck (hopefully before spring) will be a 2500/250 series. If things all come together, the 2500 will pull the enclosed on a regular basis while the 1500 will pull the open trailer. If/when neccessary, our 1500 shouldn't have any problem pulling the enclosed....it just won't get the job of pulling the enclosed around daily.

Thanks again for your input....I'll throw up some pics when we pick her up!

Marty
AA-Estate Maintenance
Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you have made the right decision. The dual axles should make a big difference since the truck will be less stressed versus a single axle trailer (assuming the trailer is loaded properly).

I pull a 7 x 14 enclosed with dual torsion axles and brakes with an '07 Toyota Tacoma V6. I'm only hauling a single ZTR (1200 lbs) and miscellaneous equipment.

I was in the same position of no storage and this has been the ideal solution.

BTW, I bought a used, smaller open trailer to haul mulch. Not always convenient but it works.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
I have a 24' Pace Summit with a work bench up front. I carry 1-WB and 2-Z's a 60" and a 52" all trimmers and blowers mounted on the walls. Bagger stored under work bench. 6 gas cans stored under bench also. Various other equip. stored on bench. I pull it with a F250 4x4 crew cab V8. No issues.

I think the trailer you are looking to purchase is to small. Always go bigger than you need because you'll run out of space faster than you think. JMHO

What's nice about enclosed is less theft and gear is out of the weather. Go to lunch and lock it up no worries. Also when your season ends your equipment is already stored away, no need to jockey things around in the garage to put your gear up for the winter months.
How do you like that 24' trailer. I know Brickman uses all 24' trailers but that seems like so much trailer to lug around every day. I may get an enclosed down the road and am considering either a 20' or a 24'. My biggest concern would be getting it into tight areas and into residential yards. I would hate to park it in the road all the time and cause traffic jams. I have some jobs that I don't even think I could get an enclose trailer on, especially a 24'.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The trailer is great. It's a non issue as far as parking in the street while working. I really don't care about making cars slow down or stop to let someone thru. People tend to drive to fast in the neighborhood anyway.

Culdersac's can be an issue if they tight. I have one that so tight, I opt to back down the road. Otherwise the security of everything out of view / weather, and being able to lock things up is great.

I can only suggest to buy bigger than you think you need, you'll thank yourself later.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I don't know how these guys do it, I suppose the brakes on the trailer must help some...
But the cost has to be outrageous, for starters you'll probably replace those tires once a season.

As for a truck, I don't see anything less than a full ton (350 / 3500) truly being able to handle it,
you're looking at handling 8 to 10 thousand pounds of weight and even a 3/4 ton's MAX is 10k...
I always say, you want to handle what you're towing then stay well within the truck's limitations.

The next thing is, you'll play a LOT of musical equipment every dang stop you make...
One idea, if you already have a trailer, is to use an enclosed trailer for storage only, leave it parked.

Yup, I dare say we'll see $3.50 by next summer, $4 is but 1-2 years away but if I read the news correctly we'll see it by mid-to-late 2011.
Wow Topsites...lots of incorrect info in this post!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com