Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We all need to start wiring these with lethal levels of high voltage. Who cares about the lives of thieves? Not me.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerk82 View Post
I unload my enclosed every day and then leave it unlocked so the doors dont get pryed open. If its unlocked and empty they wont damage the doors and there is nothing to steal.
that must add a ton of "unproductive" time to your daily routine...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
that must add a ton of "unproductive" time to your daily routine...
It takes the same five minutes out of my day that it did to unload my open trailer!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why wouldn't you keep the open trailer in a garage, instead of unloading it every day?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
Why wouldn't you keep the open trailer in a garage, instead of unloading it every day?
I have to unload everyday to service the equipment anyway and its a huge waste of garage space to put trailers inside plus I dont have the space to store 5 trailers inside. I have a highschool kid come to the shop every day from 4-8 he checks oil in everything every day, grease's equipment, wash everything, fill up all fuel tanks and cans, sharpen blades clean shop and anything else that needs done. Mowing is a small portion of our business so Im in no hurry to build an extra building so i can park trailers inside when they get unloaded anyway!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It takes the same five minutes out of my day that it did to unload my open trailer!
I guess my enclosed trailer was bigger.

two ztrs, one 36, 2 edgers, 2 trimmers, shears, gas cans... strap and unstrap, ect.

The only time I got stuff stolen was on a job site. go figure... it was crime of opportunity the crews were on the opposite of the building of the trailer...Bye bye blower... for my side door on my trailers I had the top and bottom corners bolted from the inside. so if they were going to break in they had to do some work. and i was able to back the back of the trailers up to one another so they could not lower the tailgates....with out moving the trucks first.

Keep in mind that "idle" time kills productivity
10 minutes a day adds up to 40 hours a year... and if you have multiple crews/employees it multiplies quick...

non productive times kills me right now, its tough to get 20 guys out of the "union" mentality...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
I guess my enclosed trailer was bigger.

two ztrs, one 36, 2 edgers, 2 trimmers, shears, gas cans... strap and unstrap, ect.

The only time I got stuff stolen was on a job site. go figure... it was crime of opportunity the crews were on the opposite of the building of the trailer...Bye bye blower... for my side door on my trailers I had the top and bottom corners bolted from the inside. so if they were going to break in they had to do some work. and i was able to back the back of the trailers up to one another so they could not lower the tailgates....with out moving the trucks first.

Keep in mind that "idle" time kills productivity
10 minutes a day adds up to 40 hours a year... and if you have multiple crews/employees it multiplies quick...

non productive times kills me right now, its tough to get 20 guys out of the "union" mentality...
So i will assume you dont sharpen blades? I have also had a box trailer stolen, good thing it was empty! And Ive had four of my friends get thousands of dollars in damages from thiefs prying open locked doors, and the thiefs got what they wanted plus damaged the trailer. You may have been lucky so far but you will be sorry when they get you.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank fully I don't have those issues any more... my biggest threat with stealing now is internal.

I agree I was lucky to only have lost one blower (which the police recovered). The law of averages mean you'll generally get nabbed.

Absolutely sharpened blades every 10 hours on the mower and changed oil every 100. mower comes off blade comes off and a new one put right back on. and the old blade is added to the pile to be sharpened. and the mower goes back on the trailer. I did not have enough room in the 10x20 garage for three trailers worth of stuff each night...plus any backup or specialty equipment.

The storage lot I used was fenced, had 24 hour security with key card access to the lot.

All a lock does is slow the thief down... marginally.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Sponsor

Hope ya findit.............Ken
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I unload my enclosed every day and then leave it unlocked so the doors dont get pryed open. If its unlocked and empty they wont damage the doors and there is nothing to steal.
thats a good idea really!