Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see rangers all day with long beds. Diesel engines are cheaper to make then gas engines on the smaller cars and trucks. It the heavy duty stuff that cost extra.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you cannot buy a new small truck with a long bed in the us anyway
Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
What size equipment do you have. Have any pictures? Right now this is my rig below. I still have two other trailers but I'm sick of towing. Right now I'm only getting between 9-11 mpg which sucks. Its a auto 4.2 v6. Just trying to get ahead because I know gas will be over 3.50 this summer for sure and probable close to the 5 dollar mark during driving season. I don't want to have to raise prices as much as others or at all if I can.

My 04 f150 Heritage shortbed , with 4.2 manual consistently got 16 mpg hauling a 6X10 , 36 walk , two 21"s , two trimmers, two blowers a edger and hand tools and tool boxes. You have a fuel issue or a lead foot.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
My 04 f150 Heritage shortbed , with 4.2 manual consistently got 16 mpg hauling a 6X10 , 36 walk , two 21"s , two trimmers, two blowers a edger and hand tools and tool boxes. You have a fuel issue or a lead foot.
Although I will agree that driving technique can account for up to 20% of a vehicle's fuel mileage, sometimes more.
Beyond that a religious maintenance program also helps, change the oil and filter, the air filter, the spark plugs, the list goes on...
Just one underinflated tire can cost 5-10% in fuel economy, so keeping up with this as best as one can does make a difference.

But beyond that with some outfits it's all in the engine and the weight, my '95 3/4 ton club cab with a 5.9L V8 and a 6x12 trailer
weighs 6 thousand pounds empty, I can almost see 12mpg on a very good day, under 10 when it's not so good.
There ain't NOTHING I can do about it, not even "driving with load" to a fault helps but so much.

My '86 D-250 used to get 14mpg all the time, it used to drive me nuts.

I mean I have gone so far as to study the aerodynamics of the truck to figure out what modifications I can make
I kid you not, I spent WEEKS fooling with that

In the end I just had to face the music, some trucks don't do as well as others.

Last edited by topsites; 01-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Although I will agree that driving technique can account for up to 20% of a vehicle's fuel mileage, sometimes more.
Beyond that a religious maintenance program also helps, change the oil and filter, the air filter, the spark plugs, the list goes on...
Just one underinflated tire can cost 5-10% in fuel economy, so keeping up with this as best as one can does make a difference.

But beyond that with some outfits it's all in the engine and the weight, my '95 3/4 ton club cab with a 5.9L V8 and a 6x12 trailer
weighs 6 thousand pounds empty, I can almost see 12mpg on a very good day, under 10 when it's not so good.
There ain't NOTHING I can do about it, not even "driving with load" to a fault helps but so much.

My '86 D-250 used to get 14mpg all the time, it used to drive me nuts.

I mean I have gone so far as to study the aerodynamics of the truck to figure out what modifications I can make
I kid you not, I spent WEEKS fooling with that

In the end I just had to face the music, some trucks don't do as well as others.
The same deja moo yet again. You have got to be kidding me. Typical, monkeys footballs and lovemaking... I will let you put it all together.

honestly a Ranger with 3.0 or a half ton with a 4.6 would be the way to go. The 4.2 is not a bad engine but for extra displacement and no major difference in gas, the extra bit of engine is worth it.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dishboy your nuts. I have owned three of these trucks. They don't even get 16 on the sticker in the city.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford still makes the Ranger in long bed form - seven feet versus the 5.5 foot bed. However, you can only get it with the 4.0L engine. With the auto it'll make a good everyday workhorse with the 3.55 gears as it'll tow upwards of 5.5-6K.

Keep in mind that for four cylinder trucks with the manual transmission tow ratings are greatly reduced over automatics, in some cases up to 2K. Ford ranger with the 2.3 and manual transmission is only rated around 1500lbs. Depending on the weight of the trailer and your equipment, you might be cutting it close, and as mentioned, a V6 would be better suited as the 4cyl will have to work harder than a V6 to get up to speed.

I know you're after a truck in the $6K range, but for $300 a month or so you can get a decently equipped long box Ranger with the 4.0L V6. At least that would be my move if I were you. Then you don't have to worry about previous history, or getting into a vehicle for a test drive only to find out that it STINKS and wasn't kept up at all. In the end you'll get what you pay for so shop around wisely.

I'm fairly certain that the older S10 was offered with a long box and the 4cyl back in the day, but the trouble will be with finding one in decent shape.

Mileage is calculated in several ways, the major being WEIGHT. The more a vehicle, or combination weighs the more fuel it'll take to move it. A lot of folks never think about the driver. In a light duty truck, a driver weighing in at 150lbs will get better mileage than a driver weighing say 350lbs! Be sure to think through all options before you decide. I wouldn't necessarily look at price, I'd be after maintenance history on a vehicle that I'm interested in.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Dishboy your nuts. I have owned three of these trucks. They don't even get 16 on the sticker in the city.
I bought mine new, it religiously got 16 working city and hwy combination miles, 18 city empty, and 22 empty hwy if I kept it at 65mph. If you can't get better than 14 I would suggest operator errors.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
I bought mine new, it religiously got 16 working city and hwy combination miles, 18 city empty, and 22 empty hwy if I kept it at 65mph. If you can't get better than 14 I would suggest operator errors.
it depends on weight and maintenance. For heavier loads, it's best to lock out OD, in which case can easily get into the low teens for mileage, even with the V6.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
it depends on weight and maintenance. For heavier loads, it's best to lock out OD, in which case can easily get into the low teens for mileage, even with the V6.
That's why I opt for a manual transmission. This thread started as a 4 cylinder thread, if you are hauling enough weight to necessitate locking out a auto OD a 4 banger or 1/2 ton is probably the wrong truck anyway.