Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I killed Bermuda in St Augustine

that is correct i was given some stuff from ric and he told me to spray it at 3oz per k and i did and 2 weeks later the berumda was brown while the other berumda in my yard was still green he told me to spray it 3 times at 21 to 28 day intravels to day is day 24 and i am going to spray out another round of it after speaking to ric he told me i could lower the rate to 2oz per k which i am going to do i wish i took some pictures before and after to post up but i didn't the only comment i can make is so far the stuff has worked great i would say after the 2nd round all will most likely be dead b/c after round 1 its all brown..

i have no idea what this cocktail is but it does work......
Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

Try and post a picture of the dead Bermuda in St Augustine as it now stands at 24 days after the 1st treatment. I think we all know what healthy Bermuda looks like in St Augustine. I don't have a camera and can't show my many results. Since I haven't seen your results I can only guess after 24 days all leafs are Brown and possible green inside the stem. Treatment two should kill it all and the 3rd really might not be needed but is a good precaution for complete control. I have found one treatment on thin Bermuda in thick St Augustine does the trick. Where there are thick patches of Bermuda and thin St Augustine it is best to use two or three treatments.

Bermuda is very tolerant of Herbicides while St Augustine is very susceptible to many herbicides. I gave you one container I mixed together and had you add Two surfactants to make the final mix that works. I have been fooling with this for several years and last winter found the correct mix. U of F at one time had a mix for Bermuda control on their website. But it only suppressed Bermuda. I started with that mix and then added and subtracted to it. U of F no longer has that mix on their website. Of the yards I treated last year (cool weather application only), Only a few have had a small amount of Bermuda return and then only because they had Bermuda next door. Unfortunately this is a very Expense mix.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ric i will try to take some pics later today i will have to see how they come outwith my phone if not i will have to find my camera. you are right the stems are brown and the inner part has some green to it i will give it to you the st augustine was not hurt at all didn't turn colors or turn yellow or anything you could not tell it even was sprayed i it wasn't for the berumda that wasturning brown within the patch of st augustine..
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

Freeze warning tonight might help with the control of Bermuda putting it under more stress. But St Augustine will also show that stress by showing a purple tinge. Bitter Blue cultivar of St Augustine is more tolerance of cold than Floratam.

As for phone cameras, I have yet to learn how to post a picture to the net or my computer. At this point with over a 100 views there seems to be no interest in controlling Bermuda in St Augustine, which really surprises me.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am very interested. I was just waiting for the pics. Getting rid of St Augustine in Bermuda is easy, but never have found anything to get rid of the Bermuda without killing the St Augustine though.
This might be a good year because killing Dallis grass without injuring/killing St Augustine is also a problem. Bayer has a new herbicide for warm turf called Celsius with says if mixed with Revolver to suppress Dallis grass in St Augustine.
If your mix works and the Celsius works, I might not mind St Augustine as much.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am very interested. I was just waiting for the pics. Getting rid of St Augustine in Bermuda is easy, but never have found anything to get rid of the Bermuda without killing the St Augustine though.
This might be a good year because killing Dallis grass without injuring/killing St Augustine is also a problem. Bayer has a new herbicide for warm turf called Celsius with says if mixed with Revolver to suppress Dallis grass in St Augustine.
If your mix works and the Celsius works, I might not mind St Augustine as much.
Turf Dawg

If all the hype is for real, Then Celsius WG will be a biggie in St Augustine weed control.

http://www.bayerprocentral.com/BAYER/CropScience/BackedByBayer.nsf/06DE21674CD30A888525766A005D2C7E/$FILE/Celsius%20WG%20Label.pdf

But as of now Bayer doesn't list it on their website. As of last week none of my suppliers, didn't know it existed until I ask. It has had a Ag label and I heard it was getting a residential label several months ago. Last week I google the above label to see it now has a residential label.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here are the pics.. the pics are from today which is day 27. i reapplied again today after the pics......
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Turf Dawg

If all the hype is for real, Then Celsius WG will be a biggie in St Augustine weed control.

http://www.bayerprocentral.com/BAYER/CropScience/BackedByBayer.nsf/06DE21674CD30A888525766A005D2C7E/$FILE/Celsius%20WG%20Label.pdf

But as of now Bayer doesn't list it on their website. As of last week none of my suppliers, didn't know it existed until I ask. It has had a Ag label and I heard it was getting a residential label several months ago. Last week I google the above label to see it now has a residential label.

yes it will ric depends on the price also.....
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the feeling that Celsius WG will be expensive. However, what's left? With MSMA gone, killing grassy weeds in warm season turf is no longer going to be cheap material wise. An expensive product is tolerable for me, if it works in one or two applications, has a low rate of use and is not packaged such that one unit is to cover 25-50 acres.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it has a high rate of dicamba wont that hurt st augustine?