Register free!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

I hope you make a killing on your bermuda control for st. aug. I've always said the guy that comes up with a product to control bermuda in st. aug is going to be a rich man. That's a hell of an upsale.

Personally unless I can control or suppress bermuda with only doing apps every thirty days im not interested. The majority of my customers are in golf course neighborhoods and the bermuda prevelant. My customers that have it have been educated on it and are either content with it or they can resod. I get very little spreading of bermuda by keeping st. aug turf around it healthy.

It sounds like you have a product that requires frequent apps and is very expensive. So i guess keeping it propriety only makes sense at this point. Subcontract and Sell, Sell, Sell.....
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy26 View Post
Ric,

I hope you make a killing on your bermuda control for st. aug. I've always said the guy that comes up with a product to control bermuda in st. aug is going to be a rich man. That's a hell of an upsale.

Personally unless I can control or suppress bermuda with only doing apps every thirty days im not interested. The majority of my customers are in golf course neighborhoods and the bermuda prevelant. My customers that have it have been educated on it and are either content with it or they can resod. I get very little spreading of bermuda by keeping st. aug turf around it healthy.

It sounds like you have a product that requires frequent apps and is very expensive. So i guess keeping it propriety only makes sense at this point. Subcontract and Sell, Sell, Sell.....

Bermuda only takes one application to kill it. But where the Bermuda was thick is now bare and open to re-infestation. It is the selective Torpedo Grass control that takes Multiply applications. In many cases with a lot of Bermuda the St Augustine needs to be plugged in order to recover in a timely manner.

BTW Karl can correct me, but I believe he only did two applications and got control with no problem. The Idea of selling more than one application has more to do with Reoccurring Revenue.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric

I was going to make a post about Torpedo Grass today and if anyone knew how to control it in St. Augustine and low and behold you do. You really need to make $$ off your knowledge of erradicating Bermuda/Torpedo in St. Augustine Lawns. I have found though as invasive as Bermuda can be a thick St. Augustine lawn won't allow it to spread. I have a few customers who had it before i started their lawns and I cut it high and the Bermuda has never spread.

If areas that have become infested with Torpedo remain somewhat damp/wet, will Torpedo Grass continue to be an issue after you kill it off with your product?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Reinfestation would be my biggest issue with a bermuda control. As you said, after killing it off you are leaving thin areas in the lawn which will allow a reinfestation by this fast growing grass. Not to mention that my lawns where i have bermuda is because their irrigation is inadequate in that area thus the bermuda will always win whether you have a selective control or not.

For those reasons i'd just rather leave the issue as is. and that is I can't control it but I can keep it contained and overtime choke alot of it out as long as the area in question is properly irrigated. which brings me to another issue with bermuda control and that is our watering restrictions which is twice a week only. Wednesday and Saturday or Thursday and Sunday depending on your house number. this leaves four days between your saturday morning watering or sunday and your wednesday morning watering or thursday. during times of drought, which we just went through, four days with no water and no cloud coverage and st. augustine is dying. and what's thriving due to these restrictions..bermuda.

Give me a bermuda control that works with every thirty day apps and no watering restrictions and i'm in.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as torpedo grass control i've heard celsius is doing some damage.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Not to mention that my lawns where i have bermuda is because their irrigation is inadequate in that area thus the bermuda will always win whether you have a selective control or not
correction, the bermuda probably wont win with a good selective control in these areas but you have a choice if the customer is not willing to correct the irrigation problems. and that is selectively control the bermuda and the area will always look thin due to lack of water for st. aug growth or just let the bermuda mix with the st. aug so this area will not be a concern to most homeowners as long as they have been notified of the bermuda. homeowners usually only see thin areas and broadleaf weeds. mix a little bermuda and crabgrass in there lawn, and educate them on these weeds, they usually wont care because there lawn will still look thick and healthy . kill off crabgrass and bermuda in areas where the st. aug probably wont do well because of there inept ability to fix irrigation, mowing or traffic problems and now they have thin and weak looking areas in there lawn and your getting phone calls.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
correction, the bermuda probably wont win with a good selective control in these areas but you have a choice if the customer is not willing to correct the irrigation problems. and that is selectively control the bermuda and the area will always look thin due to lack of water for st. aug growth or just let the bermuda mix with the st. aug so this area will not be a concern to most homeowners as long as they have been notified of the bermuda. homeowners usually only see thin areas and broadleaf weeds. mix a little bermuda and crabgrass in there lawn, and educate them on these weeds, they usually wont care because there lawn will still look thick and healthy . kill off crabgrass and bermuda in areas where the st. aug probably wont do well because of there inept ability to fix irrigation, mowing or traffic problems and now they have thin and weak looking areas in there lawn and your getting phone calls.

Your point is a given to a real professional. That Grassy Weed didn't get established because of proper management practices. A weed free turf can only come about if all factors are favorable. To think you can pour a bag of weed and feed on the dirt and have a beautiful lawn is only in a Scotts TV Advertisement.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ric you are correct i only applied 2 treatments it got to cold donw here this past winter to apply the 3rd.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

St Augustine

what is your fert and weed control program with ST. Augustine grass.. I am trying to get a good program together . thanks Kent
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLAWN View Post
what is your fert and weed control program with ST. Augustine grass.. I am trying to get a good program together . thanks Kent
KD

Not trying to be nasty, but what we do on Florida Sandy Soil and what you want to do on Alabama. Clay are two different things.