Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good snow tires and ballast would be the best thing. Chains would slow you down on the road and more of a pita. If you are really worried about transmission wear might consider dropping the 4x4 into low range.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all you all for your advice!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you can put a 8 ft plow on there at it would be fine. i see all sort of half tons and smaller trucks with plows on them.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

plows

I have an 7.5 foot fisher with wings on my dodge 1500 (makes it close to 9ft). 6-8 bags of salt and a snow blower for ballast and it does just fine. 170,000 miles on motor and tranny. Only thing I don't do is shift it like I'm playing bass in a speed metal band. Plow with a storm so you aren't pushing more than 6"at a time.
Only reason I want to unload this set up is that my business has grown in spite of the Obama administration and I need something bigger. Truck and plow has 8,000 in it and over the last few years has made me 5x's that in snow duty alone. Pretty good for the "off season"
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
you can put a 8 ft plow on there at it would be fine. i see all sort of half tons and smaller trucks with plows on them.
thats a relief , my main concern is that the drivetrain wouldn't be able to handle pushing the snow and break and that would be bad considering this is my only vehicle at the moment.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress976 View Post
I have an 7.5 foot fisher with wings on my dodge 1500 (makes it close to 9ft). 6-8 bags of salt and a snow blower for ballast and it does just fine. 170,000 miles on motor and tranny. Only thing I don't do is shift it like I'm playing bass in a speed metal band. Plow with a storm so you aren't pushing more than 6"at a time.
Only reason I want to unload this set up is that my business has grown in spite of the Obama administration and I need something bigger. Truck and plow has 8,000 in it and over the last few years has made me 5x's that in snow duty alone. Pretty good for the "off season"
mine has about 103,000 miles on it total so far and I will have about $3,000 total in the truck and plow. the plow only costs about $500 and it's a used 61/2 to 7 ft (not exactly sure of the size) . it raises up and down on it's own but you have to manually turn it from side to side but it's really all I can afford and it's still a good plow.my buisness has also grown in spite of the reccession!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

could anyone give me some advice on how to price parking lots big and small?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I wouldn't buy that plow you're looking at if it doesn't turn right or left;wait until you can afford one that does,you will be sorry if you buy that one; it has little resale value. Just imagine jumping in and out of your truck to adjust the angle in all kinds of bad weather you will be cursing the day you bought it.To price the lots, talk to guys in your area, also the owners of the lots,different areas of the country get different rates and the amount of accumulation and salting needed change the price.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
Honestly I wouldn't buy that plow you're looking at if it doesn't turn right or left;wait until you can afford one that does,you will be sorry if you buy that one; it has little resale value. Just imagine jumping in and out of your truck to adjust the angle in all kinds of bad weather you will be cursing the day you bought it.To price the lots, talk to guys in your area, also the owners of the lots,different areas of the country get different rates and the amount of accumulation and salting needed change the price.
I believe the guy told me that the plow is missing the "cylingers" as he called them to make it turn right or left. thanks for the advice.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepperinacan View Post
I believe the guy told me that the plow is missing the "cylingers" as he called them to make it turn right or left. thanks for the advice.
So its missing rams. Do you know what size the rams are that you need? or what style?

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics