Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it worth going to a DRW truck?

Well im going to be upgrading one of my trucks in march and still trying to decide exactly what to look for.

I really want to go to a DRW but i have my concerns. Obviously theres 2 extra tires to replace, which are now even more expensive. I have heard that they get worse gas mileage than the SRW brethren. And i plow in the winter. So the extra width i am concerned about. Hitting things and less down pressure on the rear tires.

March through November though, i am pulling a 7,000lb enclosed trailer. I dont pull anything over 7klbs much, but i do about once a month. Which is a bobcat and sometimes a loaded dump trailer. So it would be nice to have the dually for extra load capacity and easier towing.

What do you guys think? And those of you that have went from a SRW to a DRW, did you like your choice?

SRW=single rear wheel, DRW=dual real wheel.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My DRW is used for hauling purposes and plowing. The DWR usually means more gvwr when hauling so you need to take into consideration what you'll be hauling and if you actually need it or not. If you don't plan on hauling anything over the manufactures gvwr and your level of plates on the truck then a swr would be sufficient.

I use my F-350 that is drw and contractors/mason dump to haul heavier materials legally. It also is a shorter wheel-base and two wheel drive and I have no problems plowing snow with it in the winter as long as I have the proper weight in the bed when plowing and not " ram-rodding" around like it's a 4wd.

Next truck I'm getting is a F-450 for the gvwr purposes.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I use my F-350 that is drw and contractors/mason dump to haul heavier materials legally.
Legally, huh whats that?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why would you want the extra expense to haul 7,000 lbs?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
Legally, huh whats that?
Is that a serious question ?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttaluv View Post
why would you want the extra expense to haul 7,000 lbs?
Depends what your using it for I guess. A 3/4 ton with a dump trailer will haul just as much or more legally than a 1 ton DWR with a dump bed. But in my situation the truck was cheap to begin with, and I can haul salt in the winter when I plow.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Is that a serious question ?
No just throwing some humor out there.

And if i did go with a dually i would eventually put a flatbed on it. So i could haul pallets a little easier. I wont need a dump bed, because i have a dump trailer.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
No just throwing some humor out there.

And if i did go with a dually i would eventually put a flatbed on it. So i could haul pallets a little easier. I wont need a dump bed, because i have a dump trailer.
I thought you were joking, but had to clarify.

If you feel that the DWR is worth it for your application then go for it. As for tires, I'm running on the same set I had when I got mine. The truck gets used but isn't a daily driver, so I have 75% tread left after 2.5 years.

Flatbed would work, but if you could get a flatbed dump, or a contractors dump with drop-sides, I think you'd be better off. You might want to haul something behind you, and if you can't utilize the trailer to dump, then you'll have the truck to do it. Might as well keep your options open if your going to get a DWR.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For towing purposes, there is no difference. The only difference is what you can carry in the bed. Also if you are not hauling HEAVY loads all the time I wouldn't because it is just more tires to replace.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with a 2500 unless payload is a concern. If you have a tandem fladbed trailer, you can haul a skid (or two depending on weight) on that. Tires aren't all that much more pricey. DRW have narrower tires, which are lower cost than a 265 or 285 tire. I know times are changing and DRW trucks can be had with 265 tires with a shorter sidewall, but a 2500 will give you and your load better ride characteristics. If you only plan to haul the odd pallet or two a year, a DRW is not worth it.

A lot of times in the past, I've rented a 3/5 ton truck and before I'd turn it in, I'd order a skid of safety salt in the 40kg bags. The skid weight was pushing 3000lbs, which is too much for a 3/4 ton crew 4x4 that I was using. I'm also 250lbs, plus my brother (200lbs) and tools in the crew cab (200lbs) would put me 1K over gross. Anyway, when I ordered the skid, I asked them if they could split it in two, on separate pallets. I gave them good business in the past with water softener salt ($2K/month for my old car wash/service station that I owned) so they complied without hesitation. I'd rather make two trips, even if it takes an extra half hour, than to run not only overloaded, but top heavy as well. I'm sure the Chevy could've handled running overweight by 1K for a short trip, but it's not worth the risk.

For those that drive illegally be sure to not get involved in any accident. Even if someone crosses the line and drives into your truck, if it's proven that you were running overloaded you'll be the one charged for the accident, as you weren't suppose to have been there in the first place. I know the MTO here in Ontario is very lax compared to the DOT in the States. Drive safe - any other way isn't worth it.